Why does Firefox still have a seperate search box?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yasyugixyugi, Sep 16, 2013.

1. yasyugixyugi macrumors newbie

I've downloaded the latest version of Firefox that features a combined search/address bar like Chrome, Safari and IE... But the dedicated search box is still there alongside the combo bar! Even though they can BOTH search!

Does anyone know what the point of this is, and how I can get rid of the useless search box?

Thanks!!

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Pretty sure you can not get rid of it. I have looked at Add-ons for Firefox and there seems to be nothing there either to remove it. My only suggestion is ignore it. There is no point to it, it is just the way Mozilla does it.

3. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Prior to Mozilla combining the location and search bars, I used (and still do use) the Omnibar add-on. You can use it with the latest version of Firefox and it does hide the search bar.

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Duh! Did not even think to try and pull it off in customization. To quick to pull the trigger. Thanks for correcting me.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Personally I prefer them to be separate. It drives me up the wall when IE or Chrome does a search when I am trying to navigate to a web or IP address. Sometimes the reverse happens which is also annoying.

6. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

I also prefe th seperate boxes for search and address. Safari is really annoying when yo enter a VALID address an it is treated as a search item.

7. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Glad I could help.

To each their own, of course, but I would never want to go back to separate bars.

8. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I actually use Omnibar so I can stick my Bookmarks toolbar next to the URL box, and keep it from feeling cramped. And saves on a bit of vertical space, too. Maybe I'm just strange like that, though.

9. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

As has been mentioned, you can still search from the address bar. Firefox also has a feature where, on any website, you can right-click an empty search box and create a keyword for quick searching via the address bar.

For example, you could set it up so that typing mr in the address bar will use the MacRumors forum search.

But the reason that the address bar and search bar are separate items, is that it protects your privacy by not sending everything you type to Google - you only get suggestions when using the search bar.

That said, I do remove the search bar, and simply go without suggestions.