Why Does Flash heat up the Laptop?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sukanas, Oct 30, 2008.

1. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Even though there are no moving parts, electrical current running through them creates heat, in the same way a CPU or GPU has no moving parts but generate heat.

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I thought he was talking about Adobe Flash rather than flash memory, but I may be wrong :)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Ahhh! You may be right.... it wasn't clear to me. If it's Adobe Flash, I would suspect it puts more demands on the GPU.... but I could be wrong.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Flash is poorly optimised for for OS X - uses a fair bit CPU power, thus causing heat.

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I suppose you're referring to your fans going crazy? Flash on OSX needs truck loads of processing power from your CPU, so it heats up alot. I wish whoever it's down (adobe/apple?) to would sort this out. I think it's the only thing I really hate on OSX.

6. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

resistance to current flow creates heat. Just imagine friction it is the same thing with electricity.

7. Keleko macrumors 68000

8. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

On my Macbook youtube still revs the fans up to 3500rpm and flash games 6200rpm. I don't think it was worse berfore the update.

9. bmb012 macrumors 6502

All Flash before 10 doesn't use the GPU at all, except to display the actual image on the screen. Flash 10 has support for openGL, but in most instances it runs slower.

Flash is basically the crappiest program ever created... And I work with it for a living, go figure :/

The heat comes from it hammering your CPU and RAM, probably doing a lot of pagefile swapping, it takes up obscene amounts of RAM.

10. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

No! It's just as bad. Fans still spin like crazy. Go on YouTube, and the fans will spin at over 6000 RPM.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I love how people bash apple for "propietary" ports (that are actually part of the standard) yet most people don't care about propietary software like flash, go figure.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

People DO care about proprietary software. Apple has "proprietary" down to a T- but they get away with it because they've built up their legions of fanboys that think Apple can do no wrong.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Every company on earth that sells software writes "proprietary" software. Do you even understand the concept?

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I didn't say other companies don't produce proprietary software. Read much?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I read quite a bit. Perhaps you should read some of what you wrote:
    There's nothing to "get away with". If Apple produces the software, it's automatically proprietary. The same goes for Microsoft, Adobe, and every other software developer. It has nothing to do with "legions of fanboys" or any such silliness. There is absolutely nothing wrong with producing proprietary hardware or software. No company could stay in business if it did otherwise.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

See Creative Commons/GNU Public license/Linux anything. If the developer declares it's open code, it's open code. Whether they make a profit off of that is an entirely separate issue, one which I am not addressing, nor did I bring up in my original statement. The issue of profit is something you brought up, so if you want to argue with yourself about it that's fine.

I never said there was. My original statement, which you are taking out of context, was that Apple fanboys are extremely quick to jump on any other company for doing exactly what Apple does. All too often the same people that bitch about Microsoft Office being "an industry standard based on proprietary software" are touting iWork as being an alternative, as if it represents some higher moral paradigm.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Please quote where I mentioned "profit". "Proprietary" involves ownership and rights, not necessarily profit. You made it sound like Apple was only "getting away with" having proprietary products because of fanboy allegiance, which is not the case. Your statement also implies that Apple is wrong to have proprietary products, which is false.

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I think I laughed out loud a little too loud after readin' that. :D

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, as already stated, I initially thought the OP was referring to flash drives, not Adobe Flash. Glad I could brighten your day!