Why does google list my website dir?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jamesrickards, Oct 6, 2008.

1. jamesrickards macrumors newbie

My website is broseleyonline.co.uk which google lists fine!

BroseleyOnline | Community Website For Broseley Shropshire
    The Broseley Online Competition will feature here every month! with a different Prize (hopefully) every month This Month’s Prize is : Eco-Friendly Bag! ...
    www.broseleyonline.co.uk/ - 40k - Cached - Similar pages

But then it also lists its direct path :

Broseley Online
    A community site with local news and events, business directory and transport.
    www.digital-thinking.net/wordpress/ - 35k - Cached - Similar pages

how can I stop 'google' listing the sites location on the server (digital-thinking.net & wordpress folder)???

many thanks

James

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If you sign up for an account for Google Webmaster Tools you can submit pages to be un-indexed. The Google bot is just indexing links as it finds them though so it may come back over time. Why's this an issue? Understanding this may give better solutions for what you're actually wanting to achieve.

3. N16K NE macrumors member

How do you get your iWeb site on Google?

Cheers

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Check the link I provided. Google offers a way to submit a sitemap of your site. There's also a simpler part of Google where you just submit the home page.

5. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Do not index - 'noindex' meta tag or robots.txt, do not crawl disallow in robots.txt, do not follow the link rel="nofollow" attribute

6. joes522 macrumors newbie

on a completely off-topic note:
    I like your site a lot. The only change I would make would definitely be to fix those navigation tabs on the right side of the screen. First of all a couple of them are different fonts. Some are different heights and all but two are stretched too far horizontally.