Why does hi-def video jutter on my macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Melan, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Melan macrumors regular

I just can't get smoothe hi-def video on my comp, streaming or downloaded. What spec is it related to? Are macbooks just downright not capable of smooth hi-def?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Not all high-def is the same. What is the codec used for the audio and video, bitrate of the video, dimensions of the video, and what software are you using to play it back?

3. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

I too sometimes have a little judder on HD video, but since the CPU and RAM is nowhere near maxed out I just thought it was because of the ****** GPU... :)

4. stevo8 macrumors 6502

Thats exactly what I thought about my situation.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

are you talking about flash video? videos on apple site, youtube etc

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

What's the source of the video? What model of Macbook are you running?

7. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

No High Definition video like 720p... But not all, and not even all the time...

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Even a Mac Mini will play 1080p Blu-ray m2ts files, which are very high bit rate, so a MacBook should as well, provided it's in a supported codec and you have Plex or XMBC.

9. finnschi macrumors 6502

I wish, HD video is encoded solo thru the CPU, but I think some GFX cards have some extra features like the Radeon HD... and stuff :D

10. Melan thread starter macrumors regular

My macbook is 2.2GHz with 4GB ram. As to what HD videos i've had this with, it's pretty much all the videos I've tried to run on my comp. That includes trailers download from apple (usually 720) and played on quicktime (i have perian installed if that makes a difference), videos streamed on hulu at 480p, and the thing which reminded me of the problem, a Macbreak HD video podcast I just watched on itunes. I just realised I've never as far as i can remember watched an HD video on VLC, might that make a difference?

11. Melan thread starter macrumors regular

I also get it on youtube HD
    Any help with this would be much appreciated!

12. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

flash drivers for mac suck. that's why high definition on youtube, for example, doesn't play as well as you'd like.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

OTOH, particularly with the 720p Apple Quicktime trailers, I can't think of any good reason why you should be seeing stutter... far lesser computers play those fine.

14. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

true. are the 720p quicktime trailers fully downloaded? could it be that your internet just can't keep up? i know that mine can't.

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

basically its 2 problems. 1) Apple rarely updates video drivers, 2) flash depite being designed for the Mac sucks.

A) How many people on this thread with this problem have actually submitted a bug report on the Apple site?

B) How many of you expect this problem to be fixed with an update tommorow?

16. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

It's definitely a driver or software issue and not the machine itself. I get the stutters on OSX but not in Windows on the exact same machine when tested on the same videos.

17. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

On my MacBook it does follow any pattern it's just random... Sometimes I'll get stutter on 720p trailers from Apple's homepage but most often I won't. (and I know it's not my internet connection :) )
    Could it be that the video is just "compiled" wrong?

18. Melan thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm so does anyone know if this is a OSX-wide problem or just a macbook problem or what? And (noob question) does anyone know if it's possible to update drivers on macs?
    Gonna submit bug report as kasten suggests

19. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

20. tdream macrumors 65816

You forgot 3) video processing is done by the CPU. So better CPU = higher def video.

21. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

OK, let's clear this up. I've already told you that even a puny little Mac Mini can play 1080p video, so it clearly isn't a systemic problem with the MacBooks. Download Plex and see how the file plays with it. If Plex cannot play it, then there's something wrong with the file. If Plex does play it, then the problem is the crappy playback software you've been using (Quicktime, VLC, etc.). Then you'll know.