Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kate9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
im trying to understand how airplay works with homepod... itunes is fine and works from its own airplay icon as usual.

however i assumed it can play from youtube etc/system audio (maybe not the feed back effects) on a mac since its choosable as an airplay speaker from the title bar. when you do this you get no sound. if this isnt supported what is it there for?

alternatively, even in safari youtube has its own icon for airplay, when you click these it says no devices found.

i assumed since on the homepod specs it says under sources 'airplay speaker from ios/mac' that these would work?

daveak

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Durham, UK
im trying to understand how airplay works with homepod... itunes is fine and works from its own airplay icon as usual.

however i assumed it can play from youtube etc/system audio (maybe not the feed back effects) on a mac since its choosable as an airplay speaker from the title bar. when you do this you get no sound. if this isnt supported what is it there for?

alternatively, even in safari youtube has its own icon for airplay, when you click these it says no devices found.

i assumed since on the homepod specs it says under sources 'airplay speaker from ios/mac' that these would work?

Works fine for me, I just picked the HomePod from the menu bar as the speaker, went to netflix in safari and the audio came from the HomePod.

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
Works fine for me, I just picked the HomePod from the menu bar as the speaker, went to netflix in safari and the audio came from the HomePod.

Any latency issues noticeable when watching Netflix or youtube?

Would like to keep a homepod on my desk as my main speaker and for listening to music if possible.

daveak

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Durham, UK
Any latency issues noticeable when watching Netflix or youtube?

Would like to keep a homepod on my desk as my main speaker and for listening to music if possible.

Just tried with youtube, quite bad, about a second or two out of sync.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH

How old is your Mac?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
My super power is that my brain can compensate for very large audio sync issues (specifically lip sync) so I can only notice them for a couple minutes before I feel it fixed itself. Ya, my super power sucks.

I have a 2013 iMac and I tested it and initially it was about 150-200ms delay in audio with youtube.

Then I tried from my iPhone 6S to my HP and it was near enough I would consider it near perfect.

Then I went back to the iMac and it was still there. As I was watching videos I noticed it getting better, assuming this was just my super powers kicking in...ladies... I went back to a test video and sure enough it was practically spot on.

At first I didn't see what was happening but when I paused the video sound kept coming out of the HomePod so I thought there would be a massive sync issue. However when I restarted the video there was a massive delay prior to the HP outputting audio. Now its obvious it was allowing it to buffer and resync but I didn't time them to check for an inconsistency and of course its working.

Reactions: nikster0029

kate9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008

That's good it does nothing for me still after a restart, removing and re adding. I'm wondering if its because im on an older imac perhaps its an older bluetooth thing.
[doublepost=1518242686][/doublepost]
How old is your Mac?

im thinking its because its a pretty old imac now.. mid 2010. still on high sierra and other airplay options work though... and it shows up.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
That's good it does nothing for me still after a restart, removing and re adding. I'm wondering if its because im on an older imac perhaps its an older bluetooth thing.
[doublepost=1518242686][/doublepost]

im thinking its because its a pretty old imac now.. mid 2010. still on high sierra and other airplay options work though... and it shows up.

That's why, your Mac needs to be from 2012 or newer.

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/homepod/#compatible_devices

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.