Why does iCloud backup only let you disable the camera roll backup?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Calidude, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Calidude, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Go to settings > iCloud > Backup.

Why isn't that backup function selection like the iCloud Sync function?

I don't need my camera roll backed up so I disabled it, but I don't need my settings or accounts backed up either. The only thing I want to stay in the cloud are my contacts, why can't I make it only keep that?

2. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Click the "Manage Storage" button in the first category of "Storage & Backup" and you will have a list of your devices backed up to your iCloud account. From there you can select a device (like an iPhone) and then under the "Backup options" category you will be able to turn on and off what you want your iPhone to backup to iCloud and what you want it to skip based on your installed apps.

Problem solved.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Uh, did you try "Manage Storage" and then tap on your phone? Because you can disable the camera roll.

"Goes to hell"? So, "accounts" can "mess up" your phone? What the hell are you talking about?

I can assure you that phone "Settings" are not going to mess anything up.

5. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

It's always been that way with restoring from a backup (through iTunes) and I agree: it's really annoying.

When I restore my phone I don't want my settings restored because those are usually what caused the problem. But I would like to restore my text messages, voicemails and contacts.

6. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Thanks for the tip. Settings DO mess things up, trust me.

7. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

You should leave your original thread title and thread message (albeit less aggressive if you would like) so other people who unknowingly get flustered by this can search and find help.

8. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Done. I didn't realize the camera roll can be disabled but more fine-tuning of the backup needs to take place.