why does icloud need wifi in order to work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Oct 15, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i don't like having wifi on, and also i get duplicates because it syncs with icloud and my computer.....whcih one do you guys use? i have a terabyte on my computer so space isn't a factor. is it possible to use both icloud and itunes as a back up?

2. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

What do you mean you don't like having wifi on?

3. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

just drains battery. i only turn it on when i need to

4. Steve28 macrumors member

3G data access uses FAR more battery than wifi. I leave wifi, bluetooth, etc all on my phone is still at like 70% charge at the end of the day (10pm - comes off charger at 6am)

5. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

It needs wifi because backups can be big and that would eat your quota alive.

6. lilo777 macrumors 603

Maybe. But when idle WiFi consumes much more power than 3G.

7. iphonenub macrumors regular

When near wifi keep wifi on. Data usage uses less battery through wifi and when the phone is in standby (screen off, no background processes) wifi is off and automatically comes on when you wake the phone.

For the reason as the above said: data usage. I would imagine a phone with a lot of photos and app data takes up a lot of space. Plus, if you are like me and back up once a day then that data adds up fast.

8. illidan155 macrumors member

its more because they don't want to intiate a ''war'' with the operator since a full icloud service could realy overload the operator repeater at the point that other user on the same cell could not even make a call or find no service at all

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I'm pretty sure wifi turns off when you lock the phone

10. Europa13 macrumors 6502

This is correct. Turning WiFi when your iPhone is locked/not in use will not save any battery.