Why does iMac run so hot (Win 7)?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BasilFawlty, Mar 7, 2012.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I have a fairly new 27" iMac i5 and I run Win 7 under bootcamp. I notice that when I'm running Windows, the iMac is much hotter to the touch. I posted this question in a different forum but didn't get much response, then I realized this forum was probably a better one to ask this question. Whay does my iMac run so much hotter under Win 7 and is there anything I can do about it? (I suspect it has to do with fan control?)

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

From what I've gathered, the Boot Camp drivers are not exactly the best optimised for Windows on the Apple hardware, and as such the fan control isn't done very well.

My laptop runs okay when I've booted into Windows but it is in an issue when running a game. I've found a nice little program called MacFan. It's a command-line program, so you can write a little batch file and copy it into your Startup folder in the Start Menu, so you can have your fans running at an increased speed every time your start up.