Why does iMessage Handoff on Mac Dock appear when I raise my wrist?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by adamjackson, Nov 3, 2015.

1. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Latest Apple Watch OS, Latest El Capitan public release (not beta). When I move my wrist and the screen comes on (happens about a dozen times an hour while I type / write), the iMessage icon appears on my dock.

When i click the icon iMessage says, "handoff could not be completed"

When I move my wrist to turn screen off on apple watch, icon goes away. I've tried restarting my phone and macintosh to no avail. Should I reset my apple watch?

2. adamjackson thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't know if bumps are allowed here but it appears i'm the only person with this issue.

3. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

I am on the latest version of each (non betas) and I don't have the issue. Only way I could replicate it was to set my watch to resume previous activity on wrist-raise and have a message open (not just the messages list).

4. adamjackson thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm going to call Apple and see what they think. Everything is under AppleCare+. At least they'll file it as a bug if there's no fix other than resetting my Apple Watch.

5. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

I was having a similar problem after numerous iMessages from my Son. Lasted a few days before I rebooted the Watch. Problem solved.

6. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

I had this problem on 2.0. Maybe 2.0.1 solved it or I had to repair my watch, so maybe this fixed the issue. I'm not sure

7. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

8. JessRab macrumors newbie

I'm getting this issue too. I've been using my macbook at work the past few days and it's really zapping the battery on my watch - I must wave my arms around a lot! Did you get anywhere with Apple - is there a simple fix?

9. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

I also have this problem, going to try a repair...

10. JessRab macrumors newbie

Hey Adam - did you get anywhere with this? looking for a fix as my watch isn't lasting the day if I use my macbook as primary computer - does resetting watch do the trick?

11. adamjackson thread starter macrumors 65816

A few power cycles on all of my Apple devices finally did the trick. I really don't know why that fixed it but 'hard restart' basically holding sleep & home button on Watch, iPad, iPhone along with full restarts of the MacBook fixed it.