Why does iMessage/Messages for Mac Say 'Maybe?'

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ace2617, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Ace2617 macrumors regular

Ace2617

Hey everyone,

I'm having a weird issue with iMessage (Messages in macOS 10.12)

When I send a message to one of my friends from my MacBook, they receive the message as "Maybe (my name)" Instead of just having my name as the sender, it has a "maybe" prefix.

Does anyone know what this is about? I tried to sign out of Messages and sign back in, but it didn't fix the issue. This doesn't happen when sending from my iPhone - which I do about 95 percent of the time - but when I send from my Mac it happens.

Has anyone come across this issue?

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

2. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

Probably your friend does not have your contact saved, or its missing the name or some other info.

3. dcarr_99 macrumors newbie

Old thread but I just had this issue myself so I'll add my experience.

One of my iMessage group member's name was "Maybe: [name]". As Ritsuka suggested, in my Contacts, this member's contact phone# had no area code, whereas his iMessage phone# did. I added the AC to his contact phone and the "Maybe:" went away.

4. Ace2617 thread starter macrumors regular

Ace2617

Since this thread resurfaced, I should note what I did and how it fixed the issue. About a year ago, I enabled a different email address of mine under Accounts in the preference pane of Messages. That fixed the problem, and it's been working great since. But as DCarr_99 said, there are other ways to fix this problem if anyone experiences it, such as adding an area code if it's missing.

5. russell_jt macrumors newbie

Please can you elaborate on how you resolved this? I don't think it is feasible to add a country code to each contact, especially as for me this problem has only occurred since I changed my Apple ID from being an @gmail.com account to my @icloud.com account. Prior to this I did not have any issues.

Additionally, Messages still does recognise the numbers as belonging to certain contacts because it displays the correct photo, therefore on some level it does recognise who the number belongs to.

Many thanks
    Russell