Why does iMovie need access to my location?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by moonman239, Dec 26, 2011.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

iMovie says it needs access to my location to access the Media folder. Unless there is a perfectly good explanation for this, this is just nuts.

2. tbl macrumors member

tbl

iMovie asks for your location because of some “smart themes” it has, where your location is superimposed on a map in the video background.

3. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Apple calls this a good reason? Why can't iMovie just disable smart themes and say, "Smart themes are disabled because iMovie doesn't have access to your location?"

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Clovis got it right on par.

Your photos are always Geo-tagged, no choice to turn it off. iMovie for iOS just wants to make sure it's allowed to access that geotag or else for some reason it won't be able to access the files completely.

5. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Then Apple needs to change its permissions system. I don't want to be the victim of an attacker who decides to find out where I am by hijacking the iMovie app.

If I had no go tagged photos, would iMovie still ask for permission to use Location Services?

6. psonice macrumors 6502a

*All* apps need permission to access your camera roll. It's kind of good that apple are applying their rules to themselves at least. And yes, it is confusing - I hit this issue with my last app (NightCap - there's a separate thread about that on the forum) and didn't understand what it was at first.

The reason is, as said already, that photos contain GPS data. It's not all that much of an issue, but in theory an app with access to the photo album knows where you've been, when, and has photographic evidence. If you're using that data to make a video it's OK, but do you want say a free game to be accessing that kind of data without you knowing?

The sad part is,if there was no warning there I reckon nothing bad would actually happen, but some security researcher would build a free game that tracks where you've been. They'd be banned from the app store, but gain headlines around the world and most likely a well paid job!

----------

An attacker can't find out where you are using the iMovie app, just where you've been (and they'd need access to your phone to do this - in which case they know where you are already!)

And yes, it will still ask for permission if you have no tagged photos I believe. The permission is actually to access your photo library - permanently. So even if you have no tagged photos, you might add one tomorrow. If it didn't ask permission today but it suddenly did tomorrow it would be a bit weird and a lot of people wouldn't trust it!

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

You can't get any data on your location from the video unless you put it in there yourself.