All iPads Why does iPad need Touch ID?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I don't have to unlock it nearly enough as I do for an iPhone. I probably unlock my iPhone 50x more than I do an iPad (this is not an exaggeration). After all, you always carry around your phone and you are always unlocking to check messages or phone calls or emails.

With the iPad, once I unlock it, it is pretty much on for the entire length of my browsing or content consuming session. Unless I get distracted and it goes to sleep mode.

Is there a chance that the iPad will never get the Touch ID? I just don't see a point. I also think Apple might not incorporate it in order to distinguish the iPad and iPhone lines.

2. FoundAHalo macrumors member

FoundAHalo

I don't think it needs it, but it would be a nice ease-of-use factor, and I imagine it would be inevitably part of future iPads and iPods. If nothing else, it prompts users to be more likely to lock their devices securely.

3. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

After using an iPhone very briefly I just feel its a nice function to have and even if its usage is somewhat limited it can become extended, more than shopping apps and login for sites and what not.

4. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Until they allow third party apps to use it, it will be a nonissue for me.

5. Mjsavage macrumors member

I agree there is no need for Touch ID on the iPad. Apple sells there smart covers and the point is to awake your iPad but then you would still have to unlock it. I don't have pass code on iPad since don't take it out much but if you did then would make more sense that would want so you don't have to enter your pass code in everytime. It will be on the new iPad next year for sure couldn't keep up with production on 5s no way they could do on iPad as well.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'd agree in the past -- I had pass code turned off. But now the new iCloud Keychain feature requires passcode turned on. So Touch ID will be useful going forward if one uses that feature. I don't think Touch ID is essential, but cool, convenient & enhances ease of use. It will be a standard this time next year but it's not going to keep me from buying an Air this year.

7. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

It doesn't you can turn the passcode off and still use iCloud Keychain.

8. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

False

9. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

i have my icloud keychain on and no pin required

10. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

True, Turn passcode off and it asks you if you still want to use iCloud Keychain.

11. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I use my iPad for work. It is almost always in my hands, whereas I might touch my iPhone only a few times each day. Enough members of my team use iPhones that I can handle texting from the iPad, as well. Aside from the convenience of TouchID, having it would allow me to put a much longer, stronger password on my iPad without worry that it would slow me down.

I'd certainly benefit from the technology, but would the majority of iPad users today benefit from TouchID? Maybe not. It's hard to see the benefit of TouchID for a home user who unlocks their iPad rarely and then uses it for long periods of time. But if TouchID were available, would it cause more people to use them at work? Maybe.

It's a selling point over the competition either way.

12. Viscerol, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

Viscerol macrumors newbie

The iPad fingerprint scanner would benefit in the realm of a household such as mine where I could unlock it and have access to MY email, apps, browser, etc, and then my wife could have access to HER stuff independently. It would be like having two computers/pads for the price of one, Instead of having to merge emails and apps, etc.

I can see how a company would benefit from this as well. Just grab an iPad and it scans your fingerprint and is set up for you. Much like our pc's are at work now.

Apple may indeed be reluctant to do this for that very reason. They want to sell more iPads!

13. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

Any new Android tablet allows you to do that now, have 2 different accounts on the same tablet.

14. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

I like touch ID so much on my iPhone that I won't upgrade my iPad 4 until they add the feature to an iPad. It's the missing feature that is keeping me from buying the iPad Air.

15. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

They might do it just because of the competition. If they do they will keep the 16 gb so we will have to upgrade gbs.

16. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

It a non-feature feature on iPads. Reminds me of Siri on my iPad 4. I never use it. Now on an iPhone that's a whole another story.

17. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

I wouldn't mind having it, but I equally won't be bothered if it doesn't. I think it's not really that appropriate for an iPad. But we'll see what happens.