Why does iPhone 3G take forever to sync?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scylax, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Scylax macrumors regular

Until last week, my iPhone 3G took about half an hour to sync. Now, it isn't even half done after 6 hours! I removed a couple of apps I thought might be causing issues but that doesn't help. I purged my text conversations (huge), but again no change. I have about 1.5GB space available. Please-it's driving me crazy-what's wrong with it?!?

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Half an hour is still long!

What OS are you using?

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

As the others have said, please post your computer stats. Also, let us know what takes so long.
    You can also de-sync everything. After that, add a category (e.g., music) until you find the culprit.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Backups still take 30 minutes for me.

5. Scylax thread starter macrumors regular

Phone/Computer stats

The iPhone is running OS 3.0, updated around the time the problem started. iTunes is 8.2.2(6). The part that's taking so long says "backing up [my name's] iPhone. I have an iPod Touch syncing different things and it's an earlier OS and that's fine, so I wondered if it could be the version 3 update?

I have lots of apps and I don't want to lose any of the data in them. I thought of deleting the photo library, but I can't because it needs to backup first, and I can't be with my computer that long.

Thanks to everyone for your help-please keep ideas and suggestions coming and let me know if you need any more information.

6. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

I tried adding a couple movies to my girlfriends 3G last night and gave up after an hour as she had a flight to catch.
    Meanwhile I added 300 songs and a few podcasts and 3 movies to my 3Gs on the same computer just before I stared hers and it took 10 minutes !

No idea why the 3G take so long sometimes :confused:

7. jdk2 macrumors newbie

You may have a corrupt database from an app you downloaded from your iPhone and not from iTunes. The cure is to delete the apps on the iPhone and then iTunes will restore them at the next sync. You will loose the data associated with the app by deleting it on the phone but dramatically reduce the backup times.