Why does iPhone 3GS get preference on Airport?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Soundburst, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hi guys.

I have an iPhone 3GS and so does my brother.

I control what devices can get on my airport by restricted MAC address access.

However, when my brother is browsing our 10mb fibre optic powered broadband internet on his iPhone 3GS my MacBook Pro gets DOG SLOW and sometimes just doesn't even load pages - just says "Safari is not connected to the internet".

I'll go on my iPhone 3GS to test the internet to load a page and BOOM comes up right away.

Can I order the distribution of preference from the airport to give the best speed to certain devices in preference order?

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

That's called QoS, and that's a feature missing from the AirPort Admin. If you need it, get another router.

3. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awk. I like Airport.

Is there a logical reason why airport would seemingly give ALL 10MB to a portable mobile phone as opposed to the main computer that actually controls Airport itself?

Especially when the computer is connected to the network first. :eek:

4. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

The phone supports 802.11b/g. Is your Airport setup to run 802.11n? I would think this wouldn't be a problem but perhaps there is something going on in which the appearance of the 802.11g signal causes the router to switch off the 802.11n and that switchover causes a problem for the laptop.

Just as a test you could turn off the 802.11n part of the router forcing the laptop to connect as 802.11g and see if that improves things.