Why does iphone get all mails quickly but Mac mail sometimes doesn't?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dloreski, Aug 2, 2012.

1. dloreski macrumors member

My iPhone receives all my emails quickly.
    My Mac mail ( Snow Leopard )usually does, but sometimes emails don't get there nearly as fast. Once in a while there's an hour or two delay even when I fetch manually.
    Why is this?
    Does Mountain Lion improve on this?

2. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Check your settings in Mail. You probably have it set to check every hour (the general tab in preferences). I don't think emails are pushed to Macs as far as I know, but I may be wrong.

3. dloreski thread starter macrumors member

I have both my accounts set for every minute.
    Sometimes even if I hit the "get mail" button it won't find them.
    Strange.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Try checking the "idle" option in your account settings; used to work at least for gmail. You might also have to fiddle with the settings for which accounts Mail automatically checks.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

What type(s) of mail accounts? It's difficult to attempt to answer without details. Not all account types and protocols function the same way.

6. wethackrey macrumors 6502

Tell us more about the mail account you're having a problem with. POP3 or IMAP? Public service (Gmail, Yahoo, etc) or private company server.

7. BGBUXA macrumors member

I've noticed the same thing with my email also I use Hotmail and I get it almost immediately on my iPhone however running my Hotmail on my Mac I usually get the emails 5 to 10 minutes after my iPhone does