Why does iPhoto use so much space

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevenpa, May 21, 2012.

1. stevenpa macrumors 6502

I usually use Lightroom but back up my iPhone photos on iPhoto. When cleaning my SSD today I noticed my iPhoto folder was almost 6GBs. I have about 900 iPhone photos, so max this would be 2.5GBs or so. What is the rest of the space for? Backups?

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

if you edit the pics, it creates a copy of the pics edited and keeps the orig separated

3. stevenpa thread starter macrumors 6502

No editing at all. I literally just plug my iPhone in, copy to iPhoto and eject iPhone. Haven't touched anything after that.

4. tsuru macrumors member

I have the same problem. I have 1243 photos (with a handful of videos mixed in) that amount to 9.6GB (determined by the "Info" panel in iPhoto). Yet, checking the iPhoto ibrary (user/Pictures/iPhoto Library) shows that iPhoto is taking up about 15GB.

To try to fix this, I saved all my iPhoto photos into an external location, wiped and rebuilt the iPhoto library, then imported back in the photos I had before. This reduced iPhoto's size appropriately to around 9.6GB.

However, recently I imported about 300 photos, which I cut down to around 60, but even after emptying the iPhoto trash and Finder trash, iPhoto added on another couple gigs (it's now back up to 15GB).

Before I rebuilt the iPhoto library, I checked the "iPhoto Library" package and found many photos I'd deleted still in there. My suspicion is that that is still happening.

I'm using iPhoto '11 by the way.

5. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

thats most likley your problem....iPhoto 11 is a heap of ****

6. wrcooke macrumors newbie

This may be as a result of the "actual amount" of data and the disk space it occupies. Every HD when its formatted has a block size and if your data cannot fit into it, it will take 2 blocks, for example. So as your data grows i.e. pictures, the amount of blocks required to store the info shows more space than the actual data. This could be fragmentation to a degree but its likely more to do with block size on the HD.
    Hope this helps.

Bill

7. tsuru macrumors member

Though it seems strange that the deleted photos should still be in the iPhoto database.

8. stevenpa thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah don't really get the whole software, may just start using something else to back up iPhone photos as it's just wasting space and I'm almost out with no feasible way to upgrade my storage