Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Okay, so my friend Kevin gave me his number. I added it to my contacts. I have texted and called him.

Last week he told me he changed his number. I added it to my contacts and then deleted his old one.

Why is it that when I go to text him, it sends my text to his old number which is not even listed under his contact entry any longer.

This happened to me with my niece also.

Is this a known bug or just my weird thing?

Thanks.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Are you using an existing conversation (from before the number was changed) or a new one?

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
No, starting a new one by going into iMessages and typing his name. When his name comes up I press it and it adds it to the "TO:" line of the text.

Command

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
USA
No, starting a new one by going into iMessages and typing his name. When his name comes up I press it and it adds it to the "TO:" line of the text.

Good start but I still think you may still be using an existing conversation. You're right about hitting new, but first you have to delete the entire existing conversation for it to cut ties with that number. Honestly, there is no other place for it to get the wrong / outdated information if you've removed the contact.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Sounds like he's using the "recents" version of Kevin instead of the existing one. Is there an "i" next to kevin's name? If so...click it and then click remove.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sounds like he's using the "recents" version of Kevin instead of the existing one. Is there an "i" next to kevin's name? If so...click it and then click remove.

Yeah, sounds like that's what's likely in play there.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Interesting.

Based on your input, I cleared out all text threads where Kevin was a member.

I then started a new text to Kevin - same way, typing his name into a new text message TO: field- to see if it populated with his old number again.

However, when I start to type his name again in a new text, there is a list of "Recents" that pop up, some of which are previously deleted texts. I did not know the phone would still hold them as "Recents" even if I've deleted the texts. Unexpected.

I deleted those one-by-one.

Now a new text started by typing his name into the TO: field brings up his new number.

Problem solved, but strange that the iPhone would hold deleted texts in "recents."

So many places to clear stuff out, it gets confusing. Its like you got your email, then your deleted email, then your archived email, then your trash can, then your iPhotos trashcan which is separate, then you got... then... then... oh, and also there... Delete should just be delete. System-wide. Delete. Oh, if I were King, haha!

Anyhow, thanks!

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Interesting.

Based on your input, I cleared out all text threads where Kevin was a member.

I then started a new text to Kevin - same way, typing his name into a new text message TO: field- to see if it populated with his old number again.

However, when I start to type his name again in a new text, there is a list of "Recents" that pop up, some of which are previously deleted texts. I did not know the phone would still hold them as "Recents" even if I've deleted the texts. Unexpected.

I deleted those one-by-one.

Now a new text started by typing his name into the TO: field brings up his new number.

Problem solved, but strange that the iPhone would hold deleted texts in "recents."

So many places to clear stuff out, it gets confusing. Its like you got your email, then your deleted email, then your archived email, then your trash can, then your iPhotos trashcan which is separate, then you got... then... then... oh, and also there... Delete should just be delete. System-wide. Delete. Oh, if I were King, haha!

Anyhow, thanks!

You're welcome.

For what it's worth Microsoft Outlook does the same thing. One of my co-workers got a new E-mail address and Outlook kept remembering his old one because of the same recents feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.