Why does it show 7/4/2009 for everything????

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jon08, Aug 12, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

I just checked Software Update - Installed Updates and it shows 7/4/2009 under 'Date Installed' for all the updates (even the two I just ran). When I clicked "Open as log files" it also displayed this same date for all the Console msgs. What's more, I've also noticed that my Currency Converter Widget has been continually showing this "Last Updated: 7/4/2009" for the past couple of weeks, even though the currency values it displays are up to date! What the heck is this 7/4/2009 all about???

Btw, the menubar displays correct date tho. Any idea how to fix the above-mentioned problem? It's pretty annoying.

P.S.: I'm running 10.5.8

2. superted666 Guest

superted666

It writes the date from the system clock, is the date on your system correct?

Edit : should of finished reading that before i replied, could be a problem with the system process which writes the date. Do you reboot your mac often?

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I usually reboot at least once a week, which should be more than adequate I guess...

EDIT: I think I found where the problem might be. In "International", I for some reason had this "7/4/2009" date written over there on the bottom of the "Dates" section (check the picture). What's the point of that thing anyway? Why are there so many variants of the date? What should I change it to now? 1/5/2009 or what?

Attached Files:

4. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

Because the US isn't the only country in the world and there's more than one way to write which date it is...

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

That's possibly another symptom of your problem.

Have you tried a non custom region?

6. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

The strange thing is that even on the International panel the last entry in the Dates box should show as 1/5/09. Did you go into customize and literally type "7/4/2009" in the box? If so, delete that and drag the items from the Date Elements back up to the text entry box.

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

You can't type a date in there. You have to drag the right things from the bottom up into the box.

8. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually, you can if you click the Customize button. I think I figured out how I got the "7/4/2009" date there. I believe it was once when I booted from Bootcamp back to OS X and realized that the date and the time got messed up. As a result, I opened International and changed the date to the date of that very day. And apparently it stayed that way up until now (even though it DIDN'T affect the menubar date).

I just typed 8/12/2009 into that last entry of International "Dates" section and now it displays this date in my CurrencyExchange Widget as well as Software Update logs. It's odd though, why would it display this date for ALL the updates that have been performed through Software Update?

Also, if I leave that date at 8/12/2009, will it remain that way tomorrow as well, or will it switch to 8/13/2009 in that International "Dates" section? How can I make it switch automatically? Because I don't want it to remain at 8/12/2009 like it previously did for 7/4/2009...

9. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Why don't you just do what people have suggested and drag the elements back up instead of typing?

10. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

It will let you, but will not actually work. If you type it rather then dragging, it'll always show what you typed instead of the current date.

11. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

You're only supposed to use that if you know what you're doing and how to type in variables so that that doesn't happen. Just drag stuff in like has been said.

12. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool, I'll try that and report back.

EDIT: just tried it and it works again like it should; even the Software Update dates are shown correctly now. Thanks guys!

13. devburke Guest

Yeah, exactly the point being made.