Why does it show saved passwords in plain text in Settings?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iphnhelp, Aug 15, 2013.

1. iphnhelp macrumors regular

If you go to Safari settings under Passwords you can see all your logins and passwords saved. But it shows the passwords as plain text. Isn't that a security issue? Even on Mac you have to authenticate first. Can't they show them as dots until you click on them or something. Maybe it just hasn't been implemented into the beta yet?

2. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

If you have a passcode set, you are required to enter it before you can see the passwords.

Attached Files:

3. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Wow, that is actually rather horrifying. I don't want to set a passcode just to protect passwords found in a setting the I will never view, but I don't want people to have easy access to that info… I guess turning off passwords & autofill is the way to go.

That's a bit disappointing. You should be able to set a master password to view that kind of information.

4. 537635 macrumors 6502

I guess we have the same problem...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1620849

It really might just be a beta glitch. I hope. It would make more sense to set a different password for iCloud keychain and locking the phone.

Actually a fingerprint reader would come in handy here.

5. TC03 macrumors 65816

Wow. This is a serious issue that needs to be fixed ASAP. It would be disastrous if millions of passwords were viewable at a glance without owners actually being aware of it. This HAS to be fixed.