Why does it take so long to access a shared library?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by cipo, Nov 30, 2012.

1. cipo macrumors member

I have quite a large media library (~300GB music / 1.5TB movies and TV shows). When I try to access this library from the iPhone's (or iPad's) Music (or Videos) apps via Home Sharing, loading the contents takes at least a couple of minutes, and more often than not it doesn't finish at all. It's practically useless for me.

Now you could argue that this is simply due to the large amount of data or maybe my home network not performing well, but what I don't understand is this: when I use the Remote app on either device, it displays the whole library almost instantly.

It appears as if the Remote app is just querying the server for content to display while the other apps try to push the whole library file down to the device. Is that the case? And if so, why? Couldn't those apps access the library the same way as Remote does? What am I missing?

2. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

No this is a bug. Home sharing is broken in iOS 6. Plenty of thread on the web about this including macrumors.

3. cipo thread starter macrumors member

I've seen some of these threads, but it wasn't really performing well on iOS 5.x either. Maybe it didn't fail as consistently as it does now, but even when it worked it would still take ages. The point of this thread is to raise the question: why does opening the library take a considerable amount of time at all when the Remote app can do the same task instantly?

4. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Well you already kind of answered this question in the original post. Your library is GINORMOUS and most people dont have a library like that.

5. cipo thread starter macrumors member

Again (don't know if you're ignoring my point on purpose): it might be bigger than average, but if "Remote" can manage to open it without any delay, why can't "Music" / "Videos"? It is essentially the same task, and I was kind of hoping that someone could provide an explanation / theory why Apple would implement it differently ... because they obviously did.

6. theycallmedeus macrumors newbie

theycallmedeus

I'm finding that my music and videos load almost instantly, but the cover art isn't loading properly for some reason. Either way, on Apple's support forums someone said that a request was put in to Apple's software engineers to address the issue.

7. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

Shoot I've had repeating art work for tv shows and repeating tv shows since ios5 from home sharing on my iPhone iPod touch 3rd gen and my iPad 2

8. guitarmandp macrumors 6502

I have a ton of apple devices. Half run on iOS 5 and the other half run on iOS 6.

The home sharing/shared library is broken on iOS 6. It takes over twice as long to load on iOS 6 as it does iOS 5 and on top of that I can only get my songs, playlists, and genres to show up. It will not display album, artist, or composer. Every single device I have running iOS 6 has this problem. Yet every single iOS 5 device I have works perfectly, which tells me it has nothing to do with iTunes and everything to do with iOS 6

I will not upgrade my iPad to iOS 6 until this problem is fixed.

9. saxman211 macrumors regular

saxman211

The question is if it actually will get fixed... This may be the reason apple introduced the new ipad so early....

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You're talking about a huge database. That's not surprising.

My 76GB library has always been slow. But it has been super fast since iTunes 11 with my iPhone5.

edit: nevermind, that's the difference. I was playing with the remote app the other day when it got updated. Interesting.