Why Does It Think I'm Exercising?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Robert M., Apr 25, 2015.

1. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

The exercise ring fills up even when I'm not exercising. Is it going by my heart rate or something?

Sorry if that's a stupid question. I think the answer is yes, but I'd like to hear someone else's take :)

2. fs454 macrumors 65816

Are you walking or is it literally just while sitting around watching TV / etc?

3. sterl320 macrumors 6502

You burn calories regardless what you do, that's why that ring will fill up. If you do anything that's raising & challenging your heart rate, it's considered exercise, and not just by the watch, that's a general rule. So you don't have to literally exercise to fill those circles, which I think is awesome.

4. Robert M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

I'm walking around my house, doing laundry . Maybe that's exercise lol

5. Bob Banjo macrumors newbie

Sounds like you might need to see a doctor if just sitting or walking around is raising your heart rate enough that the Watch classifies it as exercise.

6. Robert M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Makes sense, thanks.

----------

I'm healthy, I think it just does that. Like the person said above.

7. TwistedPain macrumors member

Robert, out of curiosity what is your resting heart BPM?

8. Robert M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

It varies between 60-70. Put its always in that area of I'm just sitting down.

9. TwistedPain macrumors member

What's your BPM when you're moving around doing laundry and other similar tasks? Your at rest BPM seems good.

10. Robert M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Mid to high 70s. It only goes higher if I'm running up and down my steps (since I can't seem to walk them like a normal person).

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I stayed in almost the whole of yesterday doing work and the excersise filled in a bit, I think it said 3 minutes. There was a period where I was rushing up and downstairs multiple times, so it must've been that as I think my heart rate was 90-100 for a bit.

Resting, it's usually about 75, though I have measured it lying down and it was 57. Not really sure when you should measure it for an accurate resting reading.

12. TwistedPain macrumors member

I bet the stair cases trigger it for you. Combination of spike in BPM and elevation change must trigger "user is exercising."

13. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

lifting and moving can raise and lower you heart right... think about the motions you do with laundry (loading, sorting, lifting, folding, etc) that can be seen as exercise. But, all keep in mind that just about any activity that requires movement in which the bodies heart rate changes can be called exercising.