Why does iTunes Allow This?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by someone28624, Nov 17, 2010.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

Why does iTunes allow people who clearly haven't installed an app or used it to review it? I'm looking at the Google Voice app and the first 30 reviews I looked at were basically people rating it 1 star because it doesn't work with an iPod Touch (not exactly shocking for an app that relies on a phone connection). Why is this allowed? It basically throws out any benefit to having reviews.

I'm sorry that you seemed to think this was a VOIP app and it's not. If you don't understand the purpose of an app and haven't used it for what it's designed for, don't rate it.

2. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

It's allowed because they did install and use the app. It's a free app lol. Only people who have purchased an app can review the app.

3. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

1000 giggles.
    Facetime rocks for iPod Touch users, then!

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Sounds like only apps that can function on your device should be available for download. They do this for the iPad. There are some iPad-only apps that I'm not able to DL onto my iPhone. Why can't apple make this distinction for the iPod vs the iPhone?

5. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

People can still download to iTunes, then sync to various devices. Perhaps it should check against devices previously synced, then issue a warning if the specs don't match. This still allows for buying apps ready for future device purchases.

6. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

This seems to be the best solution and I hope Apple implements this at some point.

7. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I downloaded a few iPad apps thinking I would be buying an iPad (though I never did). I just wish they could check if it actually installed on a device before a review is written.

8. leog macrumors newbie

Fools

It CLEARLY says it's an IPHONE app. Apple should screen these reviews and get rid of the off-topic whining. iPod owners who want to complain about the lack of GV support should email Google, not review and app not even designed for their platform!

I don't 'review' iPad apps and complain that they don't work on my Toshiba laptop!!

Idiots.

9. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Actually, in the case of the GV app, it won't sync to other devices.

There is a thread in the iPad section where a member has got it set to sync but it just never appears on the iPad

10. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about it. Apple has this total "walled garden" approach to the app store, but doesn't seem to control who reviews what at all.

11. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

how long does it take for a review to post? ive noticed that when i purchase an app and submit a review....i cant seem to view the review i posted in that section of the app store.