Why does iTunes ignore "A" in alphabetical order?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr Skills, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

In much the same way as iTunes ignores the word "The" in artist names when sorting alphabetically, it ignores the word "A" in album titles.

So if I have an album called "A Short Album About Frogs", it gets sorted into the S's (for "Short") instead of the A's. It's really annoying.

Is there any logic behind this?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Didn't you answer your own question? In/definite articles are ignored by lots of sorting algorithms.

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Use the sort album and sort artist fields if you want to change this behavior.

4. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

That doesn't mean it makes sense for this particular application.

Ignoring the "The" on band names makes perfect sense. In fact, earlier versions of iTunes didn't do this and it was really annoying to have 50 bands lumped together in the alphabetical list!

But I can't see the logic of doing it with "A" for album titles.

5. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

The reason I'm worried about it is because my own band is about to release an album and the title starts with an "A". Unfortunately, anyone who browses by Album is going to have a harder time finding it in their collection.

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Naaa ... I think that most people realize the "A" and "THE" are ignored. You should be fine.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No sorting album is going to get it right 100% of the time, but it's just the accepted way of doing things.

"A German Requiem" shouldn't be sorted by "A", it should be sorted by "German." Most of the time it's just not important.

8. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

-EDIT- Scrap what I was going to say...

I see now on further investigation that it ignores a/an/the everywhere. To me it would make sense to ignore it on artist names, but to do song and album names in full alphabetical order. It makes no sense to have "A Sort Of Homecoming" under "S" and "The Balland Of John And Yoko" under "B". Maybe it's just me.

9. yanglifu90 macrumors newbie

Why there is not a standard for this? :confused:

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I like how iTunes let's you adjust the sorting for any item. Comes in handy to sort items like I want, regardless of the standard.