Why does iTunes not automatically download new podcasts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrochester, Sep 28, 2009.

1. mrochester macrumors 65816

Hi all

I'm subscribed to about 10 differet podcasts, and I just realised that there hasn't been a new episode of any of them in a while. I right clicked them all in turn, and chose Update Podcast, and lo and behold, a whole slew of episodes started downloading. For some of them there are even more than 1 episode that hasn't downloaded.

Can anyone tell me why iTunes doesn't automatically download new episodes of these subscribed podcasts? iTunes is set to check everyday for new episodes, but simply seems to have not bothered! This has happened a few times before too.

Thanks for any advice

Michael.

EDIT - From iTunes saying that there are no new episodes of any of my subscribed to podcasts, I've ended up with 20 downloads after manually checking :O

2. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I also have this issue and it is bloody annoying, why do TV Shows download automatically but not Podcasts????? really stupid Apple:rolleyes:

3. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

4. Mew2468 macrumors regular

Have you checked the "Settings" button at the bottom of the screen when you are on the podcast section? What is "Check for new episodes:" set to?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

AFAIK if you don't listen or watch a podcast for a while iTunes will stop automatically downloading it.

6. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

Check for new episodes it set to every day.

7. oneduhy macrumors newbie

iTunes 10.2.2 not downloading podcasts from store to library

I have itunes 10.2.2 and am trying to get some podcasts to load into my itunes library and then synch to my iphone.

I can select and play the podcast within the itunes store and i can select subscribe

It will display a 'grayed out' image of the subscribed podcasts in the library and 'grayed out' episodes - with an exclamation mark - the error message saying required folder cannot be found

It will also not even attempt to download any episodes

any ideas on what I have done wrong or missed doing correctly - the itunes media library is on an external disk

8. moonbeamsshop macrumors newbie

Illogical behaviour

Has anyone found a way to override this illogical behaviour? Surely the whole point of a podcast downloader is to download podcasts, not sulk if it things it is being ignored?:mad:

9. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Fixed

Yes somebody has! Read here, http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=updateexpiredpodcasts

Basicly, it'a a applescript that fixes this spescific issue. Great work Doug!

Install the script in the /Library/iTunes/Scripts folder and create the launchd agent as he describes.

10. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

It just try to preserve your precious hard disk space.

11. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

It's inconsistent. Sometimes the podcasts download automatically. More often, I have to tell manually iTunes to download them. It didn't happen with earlier versions of iTunes.

Since the beginning, I have found each "upgrade" of iTunes to be less easy to use and often more buggy.

12. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Some months back, iTunes frequently went into an eternal redownload mode for podcasts. Some viewed this as a bug, so Apple fixed it. The fix was not perfect, likely because the company didn't map out all the logical possibilities before inflicting their podcast software on the public, and are now playing catchup.

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

HUh?

It's trying to save you storage space. Lots of podcasts, especially video, add up quick on 128 and 256 SSDs.