Why does iTunes thing I'm using -1.8 exabytes of data on my iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by yg17, May 7, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And apparently, each one of my songs is 1.3 petabytes. I wish I knew what sort of crazy math iTunes is using to calculate that a bajillion petabytes equals negative a bajillion exabytes (integer overflow or something?), but whatever

I'm thinking the only way to fix this would be to restore my iPod from scratch. Anyone else ever seen this before and find a fix? I'd rather not restore my iPod since it takes forever to copy over my 60 gigs of music (would be 75 if Apple would eventually release a bigger iPod instead of worrying about the iPhone, but I digress). Now if Apple could really release a 1.8 exabyte iPod :D

FWIW, Disk Utility reports no errors, and if I get to the hidden folder where the MP3 files are stored on the iPod in Finder, all file sizes are fine. This is certainly a giant "WTF"

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, have you checked out the 5 Rs of iPod troubleshooting? A restore will probably help, but a reset might do the same and is far less intrusive. Hopefully one of them will work. :)

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

But just imagine how many songs it can hold!!!!:D

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Since it's "-" 1.8 exabytes, not very many. In fact, he could probably take the entire iTMS, stick it on his iPod and it'd only get back to "empty"!

He just has a massive, music swallowing iPod! :eek: