iPhone XR Why does long press on notifications work on the iPad but not the XR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cozmosis, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Cozmosis macrumors member

Cozmosis

Checked out the XR yesterday, totally happy with the display, colors, everything - except this. On my obviously 3D Touch less 2018 iPad, I can long press lock screen notifications and get quick reply and other actionable options. But for some reason this is not an option on the XR.

What gives? I use this a ton and is basically forcing my hand into an XS. Would much rather use the XR size and cost. Super frustrating.

2. ILowry82 macrumors 6502

I agree. Seems like something easy for apple to implement

3. JBGoode macrumors 6502

JBGoode

You would buy something you don't want rather than adapt slightly? I've a feeling long press will be added to more and more things as 3D touch is phased out....

4. Cozmosis thread starter macrumors member

Cozmosis

The problem is there is no adaptation. I use actionable notifications like, 40+ times a day. It is not only an annoyance but a significant time difference based on that to swipe tap and then tap something else or to enter each notification and manage it directly from there.

I’d rather get the overall better device and spend more money than adopt a really inefficient workflow.

5. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I did not realize that does not work on the Xr, I had assumed it works like on iPad. What a bummer. That is where I used 3D Touch the most. I was so delighted when they added it to the iPad through a long press. But perhaps Apple will add through a software update (as they did on iPad).

6. doboy, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018

doboy macrumors 68020

I have a feeling they would implement it soon. Until now, most high end iPhones had the 3D Touch so Apple didn’t implement it for devices without 3D Touch to differentiate them. I wouldn’t be surprised if they implemented it in iOS 12.1.1

Edit: they’re likely implementing haptic touch to long press for notification.

7. ATC macrumors 65816

I also didn’t realize this isn’t an option on my XR. That was the only thing I consistently used 3D Touch for on my previous phone. Hopefully Apple addresses it in a future update.

8. Cozmosis thread starter macrumors member

Cozmosis

Agree I think there’s a chance they do add this. But unless I hear it’s coming out in iOS 12.1 I’ll get an XS in all likelihood and “downgrade” to next years XR or equivalent model.

9. doboy macrumors 68020

They’ll add it for sure. I hear non-3D Touch iPhones act like the iPad in Notification Center.