Why does MacRumours log you off after a while?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by kabunaru, Aug 8, 2008.

1. kabunaru Guest

I was logged in and I was writing a long post and when I was about to post it, a screen popped out on the page that I needed to log in. When I did that, I lost my entire post which I worked so hard on.

Stupid MacRumours feature. :mad::rolleyes:

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

There is a little check box that says "Remember me" or Remember password or whatever when you log in.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I always click the "Remember Me" check box. Did you try hitting the back button to save your post? :rolleyes:

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I believe the time limit is 15 minutes so either you can press the "Preview Post" button every once in a while or if you press the "remember me" check box when logging in you will not have this problem.

Also if you are writing a long post it is always sensible to keep a copy in the memory incase of any problems such as the one you descibe or browser crash etc.

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I think Safari saves the text so if you log in from a different tab and click "Back," you'll have your post back. Somebody needs to test this though.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Spot on - click the "Remember Me" box and if you are planning on typing a thorough post it's always best to have a copy somewhere, even just on the clipboard (or whatever it's called in OS X ;)) in case the issue you described above happens, or something such as a browser crash.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

MacRumors doesn't have any way of knowing whether you are typing in a long message, or have walked away from the machine for a few hours.

If it's a problem for you either compose your reply offline in a text editor, or make the first part of your reply, and then Edit that to flesh it out. You don't want to leave too much time before Editing though, as others will start replying to only the first part of your post.

8. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Well gentlemen, I re-wrote my post and everything is fine now. Took a while but thanks any ways. I will use that "Remember Me" option from now on and will write long posts in TextEdit. :)