Why does Mail.app set up my folders this way?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by krx, Aug 13, 2009.

1. krx macrumors member

Here is a screenshot of my Mail.app folders. I don't like - or understand - the way it's set up. For instance, why under Mailboxes > Trash do I have two trashcans: uchicago and On My Mac? Then I have two more trashcans under Uchicago: Imap>Trash and just Trash. I also have two Junk folders and two sent folders. For that matter, why isn't my account Uchicago just incorporated under Mailboxes - don't really get the need for it being separate. As is, my incoming mail goes to Mailboxes>Inbox while my sent mail is in Uchicago>Sent. I can make no rhyme nor reason of it.

Attached Files:

2. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

The short answer is that it's due to the mail protocol that you're using (IMAP). There's nothing wrong with IMAP (my preference as well), but when using that Mail is going to reflect and use the folder structure that's present on the mail server and not that of the local machine.

Had you selected POP as the protocol you wouldn't see two different structures like that and wouldn't have duplicate folders. You also wouldn't be primarily storing all your email on the server either, likely the reason you're using IMAP.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts -> Mailbox Behaviors

If you modify the behavior of your mail accounts some of those folders can be removed and they won't come back.

Unchecking "Store deleted messages on server" eliminates the need for the "Trash" folder under "uchicago" for example.

4. krx thread starter macrumors member

5. krx thread starter macrumors member

I don't know... it still doesn't make sense to me.

For example, my mail is all visible on the imap server whether it's under Mailboxes or Uchicago. Why do I need both? And shouldn't the two folder directories be the same (imap and Mail.app) since they are supposedly synced?

Here is a screenshot of my folders on the server:

[​IMG]

And here is my current Mail Folders:

[​IMG]

The two do not correspond. Just frankly seems like a cumbersome and stupid way to handle mail and not up to the standards I expect (and pay for) with Apple.