Why does Mail 'forget' my passwords?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbrown, May 15, 2011.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Every so often ( around once every two months ) Mail will forget the password to one of my 4 accounts - so if I start mail I have to manually input it. If I leave it, it'll forget another account, so I'll have to input two passwords..etc. It seems fine with my mobile me account.

I cure this by opening preferences and re-entering the passwords in Accounts.

It will then be fine for a while...and then start forgetting them again.

Any idea why it does this and how to stop it?

cheers
    :)

2. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

In my experience this happened when my mail server was up but not "ready" and so it would accept connections but not authenticate me. At that point Mail asked me for my password again and I entered it (in Mail Preferences as you said) and all was well again. So it's probably a combination of server changes and a bug with that dialog that prompts for your password.

Again, this has just been my experience and is based on my time running my own mail servers with my client being Mail - it could just be coincidental that Mail would always ask me for my password after I finished tweaking things on the server. It could be something completely unrelated.

3. EKOisGPSy macrumors newbie

Same issues as "jbrown" ...
    Newest German OS, German Accounts ...