Why does MAIL keeps deleting my gmail email on server?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by svkrzn, Dec 10, 2009.

1. svkrzn macrumors regular

Hello, i know what by default, the mail downloaded through IMAP let you to keep it on the server marked as read. MAIL, when it recieves emails from gmail, deletes it definitively from server (it's not even in trash!). How do i stop that? I hope i was clear..

Thanks.

2. ttopp macrumors regular

in mail go to preferences, then to accounts.

in there there is a tick box to "remove copy from server" after a select amount of time. check to see if its set to "remove immediately" in the drop menu..

3. svkrzn thread starter macrumors regular

This option is available only for POP accounts. Mine is IMAP..:confused:

4. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

You have to set it up in a certain way. I will try to screen shot my settings for you when I get off work to show you.

5. svkrzn thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thank you; will be waiting!

6. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

The junk mail filter in your Mail.app should be disabled. Other than that look at the first options and follow those.

The second screen shot shows what you should do for each folder under the [GMail] server tab. Click the GMail "All Mail" folder then go to Mailbox -> use mailbox for and make each mailbox line up, i.e. Sent Mail and Drafts for Sent Mail and Drafts.

If you follow these settings now when you press delete it will simply remove the INBOX tag from your Gmail via IMAP but the message will remain in GMAIL-> ALL MAIL instead of being moved to GMAIL -> Trash. If you want to delete something or mark it as spam you just move the message to [Gmail]Trash or [Gmail]Spam under the server folders.

More info is also here: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78892#

Attached Files:

7. svkrzn thread starter macrumors regular

Hello, i followed your instruction, indeed now if i recieve email, it's not deleted from server. My suspects are for deleted mail. If i press delete, as you said it goes in ALL MAIL. But it's permanently deleted from server! But why do i have to do so:
    Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox > NOT selected
    Why can't i just leave it selected so the mail goes to the trash in Mail.app and trash on server? I'm completelly confused with Mail.app.

EDIT: after lookin thru the web, i found this nice and clear guide: http://complexdiagrams.com/2009/01/19/imap-for-gmail-mailapp-iphone/
    It works almost like i wanted to, the only thing is that all the deleted mail on server, has 2 labels 'INBOX' and 'TRASH'. How do i get rid of the first label?