Why does Mail take so long to receive mail?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by seared.ahi, Aug 5, 2012.

1. seared.ahi macrumors regular

seared.ahi

I've previously used Mail 3.6 on my Powerbook and I could click "Get Mail" in the upper left corner to instantly receive my mail.

However, on my new Macbook Air, it seems to take a lot longer to receive new mail. In fact, my iPhone gets it instantly, but Mail takes a few minutes longer than my iPhone, even with the preference set to "Receive every 1 minute" or "Manually" or when I click the upper left button incessantly. So why does it take so long to receive my mail?? What settings do I need to change?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've had this odd problem before with iCloud mail. It turned out that the cause wasn't on my end - waiting a few hours and trying again made it work normally. If you are NOT using iCloud for your email, verify with the provider that you've configured Mail correctly. One of the most common causes of slow email is incorrectly configured settings.

3. seared.ahi thread starter macrumors regular

seared.ahi

I'm not using icloud.

I think everythings configured right. I'm using my Yahoo email, for which I entered my email and password and Mail automatically figured out the rest (incoming and outgoing servers). I mean it works, but takes about 5 minutes to receive, which IMO is way too long.