Why does Mission Control show desktop twice?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by djsound, Jul 26, 2011.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

Once big in the middle and a smaller one along the top with other open apps. I would like to get rid of one of them. I dont need to see it twice it confuses me..

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

The one in the middle is a zoomed in view, if you will. The one in the top is an overview of your spaces.

If you get rid of the middle one, how would you access your application windows? And if you get rid of your top one, how would you navigate to multiple desktops?

Remember, you can swipe left and right in the middle section to get each of the views from the top..

3. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Welcome to the world of "Apple knows what's best for you because you're stupid." :D

What you are seeing is the new incarnation of the old Spaces and old Expose apps found in the previous version of OSX.

It can't be changed. Get used to it. :)

I too don't use the top. (Destkops a.k.a. Spaces). It's a waste of screen real estate on a 13" macbook for people like us.

4. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

It has the magnified apps that are open in the middle area but BEHIND those it has my desktop wallpaper, which if I wanted to go to my desktop I could click on. Then again it has a small thumb of my desktop up top in the 'spaces'.....which I can also click on to go to my desktop. I don't need it twice. The whole thing is a mess...I understand the purpose of expose or whatever...but not spaces. Is there a need for both? I just like to move between apps as fast as possible. Expose allows that...

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I know what you mean, but think of the middle section as a magnification of the top 'spaces'. If you do a 3-finger swipe left and right, it will change the entire middle section.

Now think about the situation where you have multiple spaces and you activate mission control. Without showing you other desktops in the top area, how can you quickly know or go to those other spaces?

I guess one solution is to not show your current one, and o ly show the other ones, but you might want to glance at how many desktops you have currently.

Admittedly, I think mission control and launchpad need some work, but I can see where they're headed with it.

Also, Steve's barber, i'm not following th logic that giving you multiple desktops is waste of screen space - or do you mean that you don't use them, so showing them in mission control is a waste?

6. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

It sounds like you are only using one desktop and no [lion compatible] full screen apps? If that's the case, then yes, there is no reason for you to go into Mission Control for only one desktop and a few apps on that one desktop. The quickest way to move between apps in that case is Command + Tab.

But, in my case, I use multiple desktops and full screen apps (which then create their own "Space") so for me, there is a need for Mission Control to access the multiple Spaces as illustrated by the screenshot below:

Attached Files:

7. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I don't use spaces - only Expose'. Never a a need to manage more than a half dozen windows which SL did nicely. I'd rather have just Expose' using all my screen space.

And I still don't understand why a full screen app needs its own desktop. Is it special? Just show it in Expose' with all the other apps.

All moot... I'm adapting.

8. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

There's only a need for you because Apple gave you no other choice. If you want to see your full screen apps they only appear at the top. :)

9. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

ahhhh...Genshi your onto something! Good call. I haven't been using many full screen apps because they tend to slow down my computer a lot. That might be my imagination...So I guess there is a purpose for both. I just wish I could disable the ones I don't use...

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, the big window in the middle is your current view.

Go into mission control and swipe four fingers in either direction and you'll understand (assuming you have some fullscreen apps on). That big window displays what is currently being viewed, not just the desktop.

Might want to give features a chance and actually play around to understand how they work before jumping to conclusions....

Edit: Beaten to it, DAMN YOU INTERNET! lol

11. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

You guys must all use laptops. I have an iMac....no swiping for me. :)

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ah, in that case then I do understand. I'm rather annoyed when using my MBP with my bluetooth mouse and keyboard because switching fullscreen apps becomes so unintuitive.

I'm getting a trackpad soon enough, perhaps you should think about one as well? They're alot of fun and really feel more natural than a mouse in my opinion.

13. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

I cant use trackpads at all ....but maybe I would get used to it. Then also I could swipe and take advantage of a few more things...

14. genshi, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Uh, no, I happen to like the way this is implemented. I never used Spaces or Expose in Snow Leopard (but I had been using multiple desktops since back in the 1990s when I worked on SGI boxes running IRIX.)

But Mission Control is so much easier because of the full screen apps/spaces; just 3 finger swipe up and 3 finger swipe left/right to access your multiple spaces. Couldn't be easier...

Ahh, yes, that might be the cause of frustration. I'm using a Macbook Pro and a lot of what's in Lion really seems geared towards trackpads. But once you get use to it, you'll never want to touch a mouse again (I haven't used a mouse in maybe 6 years now.)