Why does MSN puts folders in My documents?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pbkiller, Nov 25, 2007.

1. pbkiller macrumors regular

Hello, i have MSN messenger and Office 2004 for mac, and every time i use those programs, there is like a "log" created and it puts it on the Documents Folder. It kinda gets annoying because every single time i open one of those programs, it puts a "data" folder on my documents. i have Leopard so every time i use one of those programs, my documents stack change its icon. I dont loose my sleep over this, but i have looked and cant find how to make it not put a folder there. Has anyone done something to eliminate this?

Let me know....

Robert

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I created a folder inside Documents called Documents and that is where I store my stuff. That way any annyoing program that wants to put crap in the Documents folder won't mess with my folder. Then it is pretty simple to change the stack and the sidebar items to point to the right folder.

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I hate apps which do this. I'd use Adium instead, it's much better than Microsoft Messenger IMO...

4. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

Bingo. I made one inside documents called "my stuff" and keep that in the finder sidebar, rather than documents. There are dozens of apps that pollute the 'documents' folder, and it is a shame that this happens. Putting all that other crap in some other folder and call it 'app stuff' or whatever would be a lot more clean than polluting the documents folder.

5. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Any MS application puts crap in there, as does Football Manager, EyeTV, so while in this instance Adium is indeed better it is not the final solution. Application developers need to stay the hell out of the "documents".

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Indeed. Especially since those folders seem pointless as they have no files in them...

iChats - Empty

Roxio Converted Items - Empty

Incomplete - Has some random file in there called "downloads" but otherwise empty...

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Limewire?

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I haven't got MSN so I don't know, but does that Hide Folders thing I linked to work?

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It seems all that program does is add a full stop in front of the name, which:

a.) you don't need an application to do
    b.) causes the program not to find it as it nows has a different name and as a result the folder just gets recreated.

11. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

Amen.