Why does my 15 inch MacBook Pro retina keep freezing?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by octane, Nov 29, 2013.

1. octane, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

octane macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

Apologies in advance if there's already a thread on this, but I did search here, and via Google's "macbook pro 2013 freeze site:forums.macrumors.com/" but found nothing that matches.

Anyway, I have a 15 inch MacBook Pro retina, 512 gigabyte SSD, 16 gigabytes of RAM, and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. Amazing, in a word. However, all is not quite green and pleasant.

After moving the data across from my 2009 15 inch MacBook Pro, via Time Machine, I launched Photoshop CS6, which caused the entire machine to freeze as Photoshop hit the colour palettes initialisation in the splash screen.

Now, I realise that Photoshop CS6 isn’t supported under Mavericks, but that shouldn’t cause a whole system freeze.

Fast forward to a couple of days later, I’m in Google Chrome, I open the Developer Tools split window and it becomes momentarily blank, then there’s a few visual stutters before the clock freezes, the keyboard becomes unresponsive, followed by the pointer vanishing. Strangely, the music in iTunes carried on playing.

Fast forward again by about a week of happy computing, where I hop out of my seat and flick the mouse pointer into the top left corner to make the display go blank. On my return, the display isn’t blank, which happens sometimes if I don’t hit the corner. But then I noticed the clock had frozen, along with the keyboard, yet the pointer remained active.

So, having read up on the problems people had been experiencing with their own brand new MacBook Pro’s running Mavericks — though mostly the 13 inch model — I decided to sleep the computer for a few minutes to see if that fixed things. When I returned, the display was now black, although the pointer remained visible, though no amount of key pressing or trackpad clicking would make the computer wake up. Also, the notifications tray icon was grey, which I found odd.

I am no expert, but all three activities appear to have some graphical component to them. Yes, everything we do with a computer is graphical, but if you follow the logic (such that it is, given I’m no expert), we have colour palettes, window drawing, and sleeping the display.

Keep in mind my MacBook Pro has two graphics processors: the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M and the Intel Iris Pro.

Any advice would be great, because I’m more than a little concerned that at some point I’m going to lose data, if I haven’t already, which is a major problem for me — perhaps more than most, though not to diminish anyone else — given that I’m a developer.

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

It may be worth creating a new user and using that for a while.
    If none of these problems recur it might be some settings or data that you transferred over that is causing the problems.

If you tell Apple they're just likely to tell you to re-install OSX and not put CS6 back on there.

Any incompatibility between settings can cause some very odd symptoms.

On the other hand it could be a physical graphics problem :confused:

3. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

Some investigative things you could do:

1.) $ kextstat -k
    Focus on kernel extensions not beginning with 'com.apple'

2.) If the problem is easily reproducible boot in to safe mode and try to reproduce.

4. Areos macrumors newbie

Open Console and search for NVDA inside system.log and you will find some NVDA OpenGL Channel time out.

If so then is an old problem with Nvidia drivers disable graphics switching could be a work around but not a permanent fix.

Good Luck

5. Pfsteel macrumors newbie

I have found two issues which I thought were hardware related so I took my 13"rMBP back and upgraded to the 15"rMBP only to find the same issues..

The biggest problem was that is kept freezing especially when opening folders and looking for files ... turns out it's a Mavericks problem with Finder. Try reseting your Finder prefs by typing the below into a terminal session:
    rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist&&killall Finder

It solved it for me.

The other problem I had was missing Launchpad icons following me using Cleanmymac2.. that's a similar problem but the dock prefs..

6. octane, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

octane thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys, thanks for the advice.

I'll give these things a try later today.

Just so you know, I got in contact with Apple, and — as Quackers said — they wanted me to re-install, which would be a last resort. Anyway, we went through some other procedures, which involved:
    1. launching into the alternate boot volume with command+r and repairing permissions;
    2. clearing out cache files, "LaunchAgents", "LaunchDaemons", "SavedApplicationState", and "StartupItems";
    3. wiping the parameter ram.
    It's worth noting that although I have a policy for keeping my Macs in good condition, I neglected to repair permissions after the installation of all my data.

When the permissions problems began to appear in Disk Utility, there were problems in there for core folders and files, which I'd never seen in there before.

I'm hoping they were the culprits and everything is green!

7. Quackers macrumors 6502a

8. octane, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

octane thread starter macrumors newbie

Google Chrome Helper

After looking through the system.log I'm not seeing anything for NVDA, but while looking in "All Messages" I'm seeing a huge number of "Google Chrome Helper: ... " entries, of varying types:

Are these normal?

9. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

Are you running latest Chrome, 31.0.1650.57? I had problems with Chrome right after my upgrade to Mavericks which caused the helper app to go red (i.e. Not Responding) in Activity Monitory.

Regardless I don't think this is related to your original problem, still an issue however.

I had problems with Mavericks finding my default boot drive after long periods of being off, wiping my Parameter Ram seemed to fix that issue. I'd still focus on your kernel extensions, and re-installing Mavericks (unless its a wipe) I don't think will fix your problem.

Apple's 10.9.1 update will address video issues among others, and since you are having problems with PS it may help.

10. octane thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, as soon as I posted the log data I then thought of the snafu with Photoshop, and Chrome wasn't running at that point.

Also, since then, I've upgraded to Photoshop CC, which was free anyway.

I'll have a look at the kernel thing later, once I have some free time.

Again, thanks.

11. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

Cs6?

FWIW I am running CS4 on Mavericks with mostly okay results.
    My use is limited to batch processing photos into smaller sizes and then outputting that as a quicktime.
    Not terribly sophisticated stuff, but it hammers on the works somewhat and it only gets annoyed when Photoshop grabs too much ram.
    I had some issues with ML that had me repairing disk perms almost weekly.