Why does my battery act soo old!?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by I3eXa, Dec 21, 2007.

1. I3eXa macrumors 6502

I bought my macbook this last July, (5months ago) I used coconut battery.app and it shows my battery only able to charge up to 4784mAh instead of the original 5200mAh and that it's 9 months old. What is the deal??? I have tried calibrating and it doesn't help. Do I have to calibrate 3 times one after the other or something??? Did apple do a recall on any batteries that I might not be aware of?? Also, this is for my 13.3in macbook 1.83GHz.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Batteries lose their charging capacity over usage time.

3. I3eXa thread starter macrumors 6502

I can understand this maybe in a year but just a few months and 10% of battery life gone??? That is unacceptable

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've lost 2% in one month.

5. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Actually, it is pretty acceptable. Maybe only a single percent worse than the norm.

6. I3eXa thread starter macrumors 6502

wow, thats disgusting. we should all revolt and make apple replace them. BTW, does applecare include batteries????

7. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ummm to be honest... I dont think this is something you should be complaining about every laptop battery (not just apple ;)) loses its charge.

Unfortunately for you, me and everyone else that has an apple product the battery is not covered under Apple care!

You are fortunate. A friend plugged his 17" powerbook charger into my 12" powerbook and now my battery has 40% health! Just holds up for a DVD episode of 24 mind you though! Ha Thats all I really need the battery for!

8. tjevans macrumors member

tjevans

My MBP is as old as the OP's and I was down to 50% battery life according to coconut battery. I called apple, and posted on their support discussion forums about it. Neither apple nor other users thought it was unusual. The users on the support forum stated that the battery is only supposed to last around 300 or so charging cycles. How many does coconut battery state you have?

Funny thing is, after upgrading to leopard last week, coconut battery is now reporting I'm at 91% of the original capacity. Of course, it now says I've had 5 load cycles, and I was at approximately 100 before the upgrade.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The battery has a 1 year warranty independent of AppleCare.