Why Does My Battery Suck So Much

itsmilo

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
Literally.

Every iPhone i have ever owned was well below the stated battery life. I mostly got my iPhone 7 Plus for the bigger battery but here we are yet again barely lasting 6 hours.

Background Refresh completely disabled
Push disabled (set to hourly)
Set time zone automatically disabled
Auto app update disabled
Most location settings disabled
No app location set to always
Fresh install when i got it and a clean restore every few months

You think its my obsessively use of Twitterrific, Friendly and Instagram? Tho i always kill them completely after using them

Attachments

harlenmm77

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
It’s a little better today. I installed the bing app and it was using a lot in the background even though I had background app refresh for it turned off

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Social apps can kill your battery if you can not keep control.

You should not have to turn anything off for you phone to last all day.

How about doing a fresh install as new and leave your social apps out and see how much of a difference it makes. Bet you can't as you are addicted. Maybe we could scale it back a little.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

harlenmm77

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
Social apps can kill your battery if you can not keep control.

You should not have to turn anything off for you phone to last all day.

How about doing a fresh install as new and leave your social apps out and see how much of a difference it makes. Bet you can't as you are addicted. Maybe we could scale it back a little.
I uninstalled Facebook and was just going to use the mobile site but I couldn’t get any notifications from text or email even though I turned them on, so I reinstalled the app.

itsmilo

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
The worst is when i take a lot of photos or videos on vacation. I can literally watch the percentage drop by the minute

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
You must force quit Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat when finished. Otherwise the background usage is really bad.
Killing the app like that doesn't necessarily mean they don't have any background thread working. Just leave them be and turn off background refresh from the settings.

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
Have you checked your actual battery capacity using one of the many apps available?
None of the apps from the AppStore provide correct reading because Apple has shut down those APIs.

The only viable option is using coconut battery on a mac.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Reactions: akash.nu

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
That is exactly what I said.
What? You said "Just leave them be and turn off background refresh from the settings."

Thats not how background app refresh works. Apps running in the background/background activity is NOT the same thing as background app refresh. Not even close.

Turning off BAR for Waze, Snapchat, FB, Instagram does not prevent it from using location services. Background App Refresh only works when on WiFi anyway. So that doesn't even apply when you are out and about and applications are using background services.

I have BAR completely turned off. As you can see, there is still background activity.
BAR =/= Background activity.
IMG_1309.PNG

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
What? You said "Just leave them be and turn off background refresh from the settings."

Thats not how background app refresh works. Apps running in the background/background activity is NOT the same thing as background app refresh. Not even close.

Turning off BAR for Waze, Snapchat, FB, Instagram does not prevent it from using location services. Background App Refresh only works when on WiFi anyway. So that doesn't even apply when you are out and about and applications are using background services.

I have BAR completely turned off. As you can see, there is still background activity.
BAR =/= Background activity.
View attachment 711081
I mean to say killing an app manually doesn't necessarily stop background activity of that app. It depends on how the app has been coded & which APIs are being used.

Rather than killing apps, turning off background refresh helps more.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
I mean to say killing an app manually doesn't necessarily stop background activity of that app. It depends on how the app has been coded & which APIs are being used.

Rather than killing apps, turning off background refresh helps more.
Okay, that I will agree with. Besides Waze, Pokemon Go, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and those types of apps. Anything that is using location services should be killed when finished because it will continue to run in background, even with BAR off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.