Why does my CPU usage go up to 100% suddenly?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrkramer, Apr 1, 2011.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

So my question is the title, I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary, just surfing the internet with google chrome, listening to music, and maybe having a pages document open, and my CPU usage will suddenly go up to around 100% and the computer will be unresponsive for a minute or two until it goes back to normal. I've tried looking in activity monitor but can't find anything that is using the CPU that much. I've attached a screenshot of activity monitor when this happens and hopefully that can help. Also this is on a 1.86 Ghz Macbook air, rev B with SSD.

[​IMG]

2. simsaladimbamba

Select All Processes:

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

3. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

Thanks, I was thinking I was seeing everything, I'll try that the next time this happens and see if I can figure out what's wrong. If I can't I'll be back with an new screenshot.

4. simsaladimbamba

It will probably be "mds" or "mdsworker", which are Spotlight related. Sometimes Finder also throws a tantrum, but closing all windows often helps that.

5. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

My MBP has recently started doing this, and it's Finder. If I click on Finder, and then close it, it goes....

6. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

So I tried looking at all processes, and it said that it was kernal_task. I'm attaching another screenshot, any advice as to how to prevent this from happening again would be nice.
    [​IMG]