Why Does my DVD Drive keep Waking Up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JasonMovieGuy, Feb 16, 2011.

1. JasonMovieGuy macrumors regular

I have the Macbook Pro, which I got in November 2010. I love it, but one thing bothers me about it.

Every time I put in a DVD to watch, I like rewinding it and fast forwarding to certain parts. The DVD Drive, however, ALWAYS wakes up every 10 seconds. I hear the noise and see the logo "Waking up DVD Drive" on the top left hand corner of the screen. This causes the annoying color wheel to come up and everything on the screen to pause. Why does this happen? Do I need to set the computer to a certain setting so it knows a DVD is in and doesn't need to keep waking up? It really irks me and again, the drive wakes up every 10 seconds or so continuously until I leave it alone. What gives?

2. JasonMovieGuy thread starter macrumors regular

3. JasonMovieGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Why is no one answering my ****ing question?! Come on!!!!

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Try the Reset Your PRAM or Reset your SMC to see if it helps.

Plus stop whining because no-one has ver really heard of this kind of problem before.

5. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Have no idea why this is happening. Never had my DVD drive go to sleep or need waking up. I doubt it will help but have you checked your energy saving preferences or maybe installed some software that interferes with the DVD drive?
    What are you using to watch the DVD? DVD Player? How about trying VLC instead?
    Could just be a failing DVD drive.
    Telling us what you have done to diagnose the problem would help eliminate wild shots in the dark.