why does my hdd space shrink when I do a fresh install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OverlyCaucasian, Dec 26, 2009.

1. OverlyCaucasian macrumors newbie

OverlyCaucasian

With each fresh install, my hard drive space shrinks. I am using my first Mac and I do not know if this is common nature or if something is wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Which version of Mac OS X are you using? Also, what kind of install are you performing? The default for all versions is an Archive and Install, which will reduce your free space. Note also that the install UI changed with Snow Leopard - the 3 options offered on install or re-install are no longer shown.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you reformatting the drive when you do your "fresh" install, if not, I'd recommend that. Of course before undertaking any such tasks, make sure you have a good backup of your data.

:)

4. OverlyCaucasian thread starter macrumors newbie

OverlyCaucasian

I'm using Snow Leopard & no idea what kind of install. I come from 10 years of Windows :D. Basically 1kind of install. How can I choose which?

... And no worries, my info is backed up :p
    I'm not backwards. Snarky but not backwards.

5. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Have you tried looking for the folder named "Previous System" on your Macintosh HD? If with each install you do and you get less space then this folder is probably the reason. You could have two folders named "Previous System" since you have re-installed more than once.

The best way to do a clean install is, before installing Snow Leopard, to go to the menubar(Utilities menu?)and select Disk Utility. Then format your Macintosh HD, then quit Disk Utility and proceed with installing Snow Leopard. This will of course get rid of all your data, but since you have that backed up then you need not worry.

6. OverlyCaucasian thread starter macrumors newbie

OverlyCaucasian