Why does my iMac keep unlocking itself?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Harfdaft, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Harfdaft macrumors newbie

Hi all, Les here. First post on this forum, hoping it's in the right place, My user name reflects my knowledge of computers so I may ask some seemingly daft questions from time to time but I do listen & learn!
    My first question is regarding the little padlock in the Network window, quite often when I open this window to search for my Wi-Fi, the padlock is open. I lock it every time but it just opens itself at random.
    Any ideas why?
    I'll be offline for a while. I'll be back later, thanks in advance for any replies.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I just got 10.8(3) on a new Mini, before on 10.5.8 on my PB it was quite simple, there was one setting which requires you to enter a password if the Auto lock was set.
    Seems it's a bit different now in ML.
    I found something in the Security and privacy Preference Pane, click on Advanced to get this drop down window.
    See screenshot.

But, I think I know why, you have to manually lock it, I just did, closed System Prefrences, opened it again and in Network it is now locked.

Attached Files:

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep, had the same thing here...Only seems to do it on the Network settings dialogue though.....The one thing you DON'T want others messing with:D

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

So, another ML bug, too many of them although 10.8.3 seems to be better than 10.8.2.

5. Harfdaft thread starter macrumors newbie

I have version 10.7.5, I found the window in your screen shot. The lock was locked I opened it ticked "ask for administrator password to make changes in preferences"
    then clicked on ok. ( I hope that was the right thing to do)
    Now I've locked it again, I'll keep an eye on the lock in the network screen & see if it opens itself any more.

Cheers, Les