Why Does My iMac Wake Up?

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
I usually put my iMac into sleep mode when I'm not using it. Lately it wakes up for no apparent reason. For example, I'm on the other side of the room, so there's no way I could have jostled the mouse or hit a key.

Is there a log somewhere that shows why it woke up? My only concern is that there's some malware waking it up to do something.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I usually put my iMac into sleep mode when I'm not using it. Lately it wakes up for no apparent reason. For example, I'm on the other side of the room, so there's no way I could have jostled the mouse or hit a key.

Is there a log somewhere that shows why it woke up? My only concern is that there's some malware waking it up to do something.
When was the last time you ran Software Update? Also it would be helpful if you at least stated the version of OS X installed and which iMac you have.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Under System Preferences, is Wake for network access checked? If so and it's not needed, uncheck it.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have an iMac that I put to sleep every night and it stays asleep until morning, every time.

On the other hand, my Mac Mini is also put to sleep and every single morning, when I come downstairs, its on already.

The thing is, this has only started happening recently and I haven't done any updates or anything. Very odd.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
All those posts seem to be about difficulty in waking up your Mac. Not difficulty in keeping it asleep!
It's the same fault...It's well worth trying. I had the same issues with y new Imac, and after disabling things as posted, I don't have issues any longer.

Your Mac will still sleep as normal, but will wake properly and no random events either.

Apple know about it, but I guess It will be fixed in Mavericks now.