Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romanhdz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Does anyone else think that it's a little ridiculous that the App store can't selectively ignore app files that are irrelevant to your hardware? I've already downloaded a couple "retina display ready" updates, but all they seem to do is take up more space...

Seriously Apple, I understand that you don't want to create a fragmented ecosystem, but I'd prefer smaller app sizes.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Because the apps are designed for both versions. So you want developers to create 2 separate versions for retina and non-retina? :confused:

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
This isn't Apple. A developer can chose to create 2 versions of the same App if they wanted to; just look at the explosion of "HD" apps that came out with the iPad launch. Angry Birds vs Angry Birds HD as the first example that comes to mind.

I actually appreciate devs who are updating apps to be compatible with retina instead of creating new versions and charging customers again for updated graphics.

My 2 cents.

romanhdz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
I'm not saying that I'd like for there to be two versions of an app, I'd just prefer the App Store only downloaded the "regular" images for an app instead of the "regular" and the 2X versions (or 2X on the new iPad).

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I'm not saying that I'd like for there to be two versions of an app, I'd just prefer the App Store only downloaded the "regular" images for an app instead of the "regular" and the 2X versions (or 2X on the new iPad).

But that's not possible without creating separate versions.

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
But that's not possible without creating separate versions.

not the with the way the App store works at the moment, but it may be something Apple could implement in the future, if Devs could specify in the coding of an App which parts were for which specific device, then the App Store could only download what's needed for the device it's being downloaded on

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
not the with the way the App store works at the moment, but it may be something Apple could implement in the future, if Devs could specify in the coding of an App which parts were for which specific device, then the App Store could only download what's needed for the device it's being downloaded on

However, everything will be retina by then, if Apple even considers doing that.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I dont think this is realistic given the complexities of developing and testing applications. They'd have to be pretty integrated with the Appstore beyond what they are today, which is the submission of a complete app. It would be a major paradigm shift.

I think it'd be best to buy a 64GB iPad and not worry about it. ;)

romanhdz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
I dont think this is realistic given the complexities of developing and testing applications. They'd have to be pretty integrated with the Appstore beyond what they are today, which is the submission of a complete app. It would be a major paradigm shift.

I think it'd be best to buy a 64GB iPad and not worry about it. ;)

Because everyone's got a $700 lying around, huh? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.