Why does my iPad2 battery last 6 hours?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Denis54, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Denis54 macrumors member

The battery of my iPad 1 WiFi used to last about 10 hours.

I just bought an iPad 2 WiFi + 3 G and it's battery last 6 hours. I do not have a SIM card in it.

Is it normal for the iPad 2 battery to last only 6 hours?

Is there anything I can do to improve the situation?

Do the GPS and the 3G (with no SIM) functions decrease battery life?

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

no. it is not normal.

yes. tell us more about what you are doing :)

yes. i would think so. anytime your ipad is searching for a signal (wifi, bluetooth, 3g, etc.) it is expending power. why don't you play around with it? for example, turn airplane mode on and then turn wireless on (this will keep everything else off). see how long your battery lasts then under the same usage. turning off locations and push will also help extend battery life.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you are not using bluetooth turn it off, if you are not using 3G, turn off cellular data, you will see a huge increase in battery life, even if there is no sim in there. Its wasted power in the background.

4. Denis54 thread starter macrumors member

Bluetooth is off

Cellular data is gray and I cannot access it. I would think it means it is off. Am I right?

I use my iPad to surf the Internet, read my emails and read an online newspaper. Exactly the same thing I used to do with my iPad 1.

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

6. Denis54 thread starter macrumors member

My iPad 2 screen is significantly brighter than my Ipad 1 screen.

However they both have the default settings. The brightness bar is half way between maximum and minimum.

7. v654321 macrumors member

You might want to check whether your auto brightness is disabled. Of yes, enable it.

8. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I'm assuming that you've done a hard reset. I occasionally get a process running in the background that drains battery life. Another killer is a email account that has the wrong password and it will keep trying to login over and over and drain the battery. It won't necessarily pop up an error.

There is definitely something wrong as you should be getting hours more battery life than that.

9. WildGuess macrumors regular

My understanding is auto brightness should be off for max battery life.

10. Denis54 thread starter macrumors member

Auto-brightness is set to ON as it was in my iPad 1. In as far as I know this the default setting.

How do you do a hard reset?

11. WildGuess macrumors regular

Hard reset just means turning it completely off, then back on. Before MRoogle went defunct all of the recommended posts said turn auto-brightness off to save iPhone batteries. iPad should be the same.

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I wasn't aware that turning auto brightness off mattered too much.

Having auto brightness off helps your battery life?

13. dannn macrumors regular

Yes, it will conserve your battery. Now please tell us, is your battery lasting longer now?

14. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

If you are still having a problem take it to an Apple store and let them check it out. They have some tools to view what apps have been sucking up time and battery. Also, if this is a hardware problem better to let them identify quickly so they'll accept it as a factory problem rather than a wear and tear issue.

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That's not a hard reset. A hard reset is rebooting it by pressing the home button and the power button at the same time until ou see the Apple logo.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

having auto-brightness ENABLED will mean that the brightness will regularly reach maximum when in bright environments (in the sun, in the subway, etc). only when it is in dark environments will the brightness be turned down.. so i always prefer manually changing the brightness for best battery efficiency.

OP: i would try this. :)

and fwiw, a hard reset wont really change anything

17. WildGuess macrumors regular

Sometimes when something goes wrong (usually during a failed jailbreak) the phone is unresponsive and cannot be turned off. A hard reset just forces it to restart. Turning it off and on does the same thing.

18. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I keep my brightness down around 25%. it's plenty bright for most environments and saves battery life significantly.

19. Denis54 thread starter macrumors member

Yesterday I did the follwing changes:

Switched PING to OFF
    Turned location services to OFF
    Switched FETCH new Data to OFF
    Charged my battery to 100%

This morning I turned Auto-Lock to never and let my iPad run all day. I got a battry life of 7.40 hours.

I used my iPad for about half of that time and let it idle the rest of the time

20. Perihelion macrumors regular

I experienced something similar when I tried jailbreaking. Battery life went to crap and my 3G usage went through the roof. Updated to the most recent official IOS version and battery life / 3G usage returned to normal.

21. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I would take your iPad to the Apple Store. It's not normal that cellular data is greyed off.

22. bluesteel macrumors 6502

if its greyed out, then turn cellular data "OFF" in Settings/Cellular Data.

23. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

If it's greyed out then you can't turn it off or on.

24. bluesteel macrumors 6502

25. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Cellular Data is greyed out when there's no SIM inserted, which the OP said was the case.

Rather than the on/off switch it just says No SIM.