Why does my iPhone 3G backup everytime I plug it in?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jk000, Jul 25, 2008.

1. jk000 macrumors regular

jk000

Every time I plug my iPhone 3G in to it's dock and sync it with iTunes it automatically backs up.

This seems to take forever each time, and this didn't happen with my old iPhone 2G. I know this because in Preferences>Syncing it shows numerous iPhone 3G backups and only 2 iPhone backups.

Is this meant to happen? Does anyone know how to stop this? Are you experiencing the same, or is it just me?

Thanks

2. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

No it's happening to everyone I think, me certainly.

3. devobail macrumors member

It wasn't happening to me at first but now it is. You know you can hit the x next to the backup to stop It and move forward with the sync

4. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Happens to me too

It goes through fast/slow stages

Took long as hell the first few times then sped up after that but now goes really slow again

5. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

anyone knows how to turn it off or make it so we can manually do it?

6. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

They added it in OS 2.0, the reason is because Apps can store/change any data in any file within their folder, and for some reason the iPhone can't tell what changed. So that's how it makes sure you don't lose your to-do list or game saves or whatever, by backing up the entire App when you sync. The more Apps you download, the longer it will take. You can manually press the X button next to the message about backing up, and it'll cancel the backup and go on to syncing, but there is no option to turn it off.

7. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

Its seems like a bug in the apps preference page.
    In iTunes, if you go into your iphone/applications tab and click which ever radio button is unselected, either "all applications" or "selected applications" so that the button at the bottom of the page changes from "sync" to "apply" then when you select "apply" it will perform a normal full sync (including music) without a backup.