Why does my iphone 4 serial number not match the decode sequence?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NorCalZman, Jan 8, 2011.

1. NorCalZman macrumors newbie

I smashed my iphone 4 glass last night, whoops. Apple took mercy on me today and gave me a iphone 4 for free. I was curious to see how old this unit was and its serial number isnt matching up with what Im seeing on this site.

8710164AA4T

When was this built?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It seems to have been built in the first week of 2011. But the 87 suggests that it's a refurb.

3. NorCalZman thread starter macrumors newbie

well as long as everything works (it does) and it has a new battery in it (I hope) then whatever. It was free!

4. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Refurbs aren't bad products.

5. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Refurbs are usually better quality that production line products. There are far better quality controls placed on refurbished products.

6. Vegaspilot macrumors regular

I just bought an iPhone 4 a couple days ago and its an 87046 build. It was brand new in box. How is 87 signaling refurb??

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I may be wrong about that. I do know that there is some number combo that suggests the iDevice is a refurb. Maybe 87 isn't the correct combo.

8. Vegaspilot macrumors regular

Right on. Granted it did have a small, super light scratch on the back and a speck of something under the front screen (can only see them in bright light), but it was brand new, sealed in box. I'm just trying to tell myself that it's a keeper since everything works and the screen isn't yellow...you always take a chance on an exchange and I've been burned before trying to get a "better" one in the past. :D