Why does my iPhone 4S make noise?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by colin8651, Oct 14, 2011.

1. colin8651 macrumors member

Jun 24, 2010
    If you have an iPhone 4S and also have an iPhone 4 try this little experiment out for me.
    Wake your 4S device to the main screen and put it to your ear like you are making a call; listen very carefully. In the two new units I have tested it on you can here a noise, almost like the world’s smallest hard drive ticking. On my old iPhone 4 or 3Gs I hear no such noise.

I know this isn’t a small hard drive inside, but on the engineering side what do you think is making this noise?

PS, I a not asking this because I think something is wrong, I just want to understand for geek reasons.
  2. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Sep 28, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I would ask Siri if I were you -
    (isn't that why you bought the 4s)
  3. letufts macrumors newbie

Jun 17, 2010
    I have this exact problem with my new iPhone 4s - it sounds like a tiny "hard drive" spinning when I make calls. I actually find it really annoying and was going to send the phone back. Is this a problem with all 4s's? I really hope not.
    Anyone NOT have this issue?
  4. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Apr 24, 2011
    Go in a silent room, put your phone on vibrate, send yourself an email, listen to the vibration, and see if you hear a small click noise... If you do hear it, is this what you're talking about? Cuz I'm experiencing it.