Why does my iPhone lose charge overnight?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by tymaster50, Jul 31, 2013.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I only get 4 or so texts when I'm sleeping yet my phone will be at 76%

2. zmagik macrumors regular

3. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Any applications running in the background? Specially location enabled apps?

Check this by double clicking the home button, and seeing apps running in the background.

4. zmagik macrumors regular

This happens to me but don't lose major charge just lose about 3% and I have everything on Wifi , App Backgrounds

5. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Not any major apps, usually it's only the apps I've been using for the day and I go to bed around 10pm or 11 est and I get home at 8 est, I don't use my phone anymore unless I'm replying to texts, wifi and cellular on, no bluetooth or location services.

6. iphonehype macrumors 6502

I would recommend:

Use the iPhone till the battery is completely drained out, and recharge till it gets to 100% without unplugging the iPhone.

Before you go sleep ensure all applications are closed and leave the phone to the side.

When you wake up you should see an improvement in the battery life.

Did you see this issue with iOS6?

Also if you go to

Settings - > Usage and take a screen shot of your battery usage that would help to give better advise. Would try the steps above nevertheless.

7. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

sometimes I saw it on iOS 6, is it really gonna help to run the battery out? I have a charger case lol

8. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Yes it should do. Running the battery till the iPhone turns off, and recharging to 100% will calibrate the iPhone battery. Saying these running apps overnight might be pulling the battery life down, but it doesn't seem right as the iPhone is in locked mode.

Give it a go you have nothing to loose. If this fails downgrade to iOS 6 and if you are still seeing the same problem your going to have to take a trip to the Apple Store :apple:

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

How's the cell connection where you leave your phone for the night? If the signal isn't strong, or perhaps can fluctuate at times, that can definitely affect battery life. To some degree same goes for Wi-Fi.

10. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

As the previous poster said, it will be the strength of the phone signal in your area that can have a dramatic effect. I have 5 bars and lost 5% overnight, but at work we used to get 1 to 2 bars and it used to drop the phone battery 50% in 12 hours with no use

11. g35 macrumors 6502a

I also lose 5% per night with strong signal. This is new with my iPhone 5, used to only lose 1-2% with the 4S. I wonder what they changed.

12. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Could it be all the extra debugging code thats in the betas causing the battery to drain now. I'm sure when the GM is released this should be improved.

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I'm gonna ask the obvious questions here: why are you leaving your phone unplugged overnight? I plug in mine every night just out of reflex.
    There are so many variables at this point in the beta process that it might be difficult to pinpoint the problem. I would definitely quit all the apps in multitasking and then do a hard reset. Sometimes it's a rogue connection that's killing the battery. But it could be a bunch of other things as well ranging from your cellular reception to push notifications. You could try Resetting all Setting.
    For me personally I've experienced worse battery life in b4 than b3 and I've tried all the tricks.

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Make sure you have background refresh turned off for any apps that you don't feel the need for it. Noticed that this improved my battery life considerably once I started turning some apps off.

15. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

I have 100% in the morning. I have 3G on all the time. I kill all apps and turn push off going to bed. Not sure if it makes a difference, will do the opposite tonight and see.

16. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I dont have a power outlet near the bed, and since the iPhone is my alarm clock, I need it near the bed. I just charge mine up of an evening then leave it unplugged over night.

17. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I instantly thought of Lonnie Donegan when I saw this thread title :)

18. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

That's not really that much difference. What's changed? Your hardware.