Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Its trying to tell us something!

Whats the Lassie? Old Man Potter is being held captive in Boulder Colorado?

Lascripty

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
Same problem

I've been having this issue also, as have at least 4 of my friends .... We are all located in the South bay as well .... really frustrating when you are trying to use any apps based with gps such as traffic and things

Hicktoria

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
My AT&T Rep said it was fixed yesterday ...

But it isn't. The problem resolved last night and came back today.

The problem is in a set of towers in the South Bay. If you turn off 3G network service your map will put you back to where you really are.

dpyang

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
But it isn't. The problem resolved last night and came back today.

The problem is in a set of towers in the South Bay. If you turn off 3G network service your map will put you back to where you really are.

I turned 3G off. Tapped the Maps application. Edge had me all over the place today, except my true location. :( Anyone else experience this today?

Malibu101481

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
Holy Crap, and I thought this was only happening to me!!!

I Live in Hermosa but am from Colorado so I figured when I went home last week that my GPS got stuck, THANK GOD I'm not the only one having this issue.

bobchatt

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
iPone GPS is So Cal

The iPhone GPS works fine if you turn off 3G. And will also work if you are using a WiFi network (in airplane mode). Not good options.
I spent time with Apple Tech support who patched in AT&T tech support. I also stopped by the Apple Store in Manhattan Beach....all of whom confirm the iPhone 3G GPS problem to the So Bay (beach cities).
AT&T called me back last night and gave me a "network ticket number" ... as follows .... CM20100318_9028254.
The problem is suspected to be associated with local So Bay AT&T cell towers. There is no know solution at this point....and no known fix date.

mazer75

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
The iPhone GPS works fine if you turn off 3G. And will also work if you are using a WiFi network (in airplane mode). Not good options.
I spent time with Apple Tech support who patched in AT&T tech support. I also stopped by the Apple Store in Manhattan Beach....all of whom confirm the iPhone 3G GPS problem to the So Bay (beach cities).
AT&T called me back last night and gave me a "network ticket number" ... as follows .... CM20100318_9028254.
The problem is suspected to be associated with local So Bay AT&T cell towers. There is no know solution at this point....and no known fix date.

Hey thanks for doing all that. I downloaded the Mark the Spot app, and have been submitting error reports about three times per day.

Let's hope they get this fixed soon!

mazer75

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
Fixed?

I checked yesterday and today, and now I'm showing up in Redondo Beach (which is correct). And I'm indoors, so it's just the cell tower info that's providing location.

Is everyone else's iPhones back to normal too?

skyhound

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
Looks as if this issue got resolved since no one was complaining anymore!

I have a different question. Is there an App that will allow me to manually alter my GPS location? Whether app store or jailbroken, I'd like to be able to change up some of the location based services i use to other areas.

Thanks!

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Yep, I'm in central Kentucky and was having this exact same problem. When I brought up the Maps app it would show my location as being about 85 miles west of where I really am. I tried the turning off 3G trick and it worked...but that's silly. It started about the same time as everyone else here has described...about 2 to 3 weeks ago.

Now, though, it seems to have fixed itself. Hopefully AT&T has got this sorted out as I use my GPS at work nearly everyday, and I didn't want to have to go back to using my Garmin when using my 3GS is so much easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.