Why does my ipod touch take so long to backup on itunes?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by loneapple24, Aug 6, 2009.

1. loneapple24 macrumors newbie

loneapple24

I have a 16gb ipod touch 2g, with about 7.9 gb remaining. What's the deal?

2. loneapple24 thread starter macrumors newbie

loneapple24

Hahaha.....You're funny. Well, I mean it didn't take as long as it did before. Before, it took a couple of minutes. Now,.... at least 7-8 minutes. I don't really count. I estimate.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  4. Touchy macrumors regular

I also find it takes 4-6 minutes to backup the iPod touch to iTunes on PC. Further, I started a thread some time ago about the "other" category (which I understand to be OS and other fairly critical files) being missing on the status bar in the sync window on the computer when connected to iTunes for backup. It came back for a while but has now disappeared again. I wonder if this is the cause of the slow backup and aside from rebooting the iPod touch what can be done about it?
    Nevertheless, the iPod touch does eventually backup and sync so I don't think I have a big problem. What thoughts does anyone have?

5. iboy38 macrumors member

iboy38

My iPod Touch takes time to back up too! Before it would only take around 2 minutes and now it's like 7!

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The OS isn't included as part of the "Other" - that's all stored on another much tinier partition of the drive that isn't normally accessible/viewable to the average user (unless you're jailbroken and have access to the system files). "Other" includes things like album art, contacts, calendars, your Safari history and cache, etc.

7. Touchy macrumors regular

OK thanks for that information. However, what could be the explanation for the "other" partition to disappear from the contents bar at the bottom of the iTunes sync page. I do have pictures, contacts, etc stored on the iPod touch. Just trying to understand it, Thanks

Stephen