Why does my mac lose hard drive space (not ram!) when in sleep mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphone4dude15, Oct 3, 2010.

1. iphone4dude15 macrumors newbie

Lately I've noticed that whenever I put my Mac to sleep, I lose a few megabytes. At first I didn't think anything about it. Until one day I let sleep for a while I was doing something, and came back to, and saw that I had lost about 300 megabytes. While it was in sleep, no applications were running and nothing was downloading. My mac is Macbook pro, 3 years old, 120 gigabyte, 2 gb of ram, 2.33 Ghz Intel Core duo, Model Identifier: 2,2, and Serial Number:W86481HGW0H Right now it's running leopard. I'm about to upgrade to Snow Leopard. So why would it lose this hard drive space when it's in sleep mode? By the way, I bought it used one year ago. So I've only had it a year. I haven't downloaded anything from any untrustworthy websites. I only download things from trusted sources(i.e. itunes.) Please help. Right now my only solution is to keep a close eye on it, and make sure that it does not go to sleep!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Before your Mac sleeps, it saves information about its current state, files open, temporary files, contents of RAM, etc. to your hard drive, so it can restore those things when you wake it. These things take up space.

3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Whrn put to sleep the mac transfers the contents of the ram to the hard drive.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg